Buffalo Special 6 Shirt Jacket...Bring on the cold!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I have just bought myself a nice new Buffalo Special 6 Shirt Jacket, Being a bit sad I cranked the air con right up in the car and went for a drive to see what its like. I’m impressed, I even drove down the dual carriageway at 70 mph with all the windows open and my arm out the window (around 11 at night) and I couldn’t feel a thing. Anybody have any advice on the do's and don’ts with the shirts?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
xairbourne said:
I have just bought myself a nice new Buffalo Special 6 Shirt Jacket, Being a bit sad I cranked the air con right up in the car and went for a drive to see what its like. I’m impressed, I even drove down the dual carriageway at 70 mph with all the windows open and my arm out the window (around 11 at night) and I couldn’t feel a thing. Anybody have any advice on the do's and don’ts with the shirts?

Yeah, don't expose it to air speeds approaching 70MPH... :D

Seriously though, don't treat it with any kind of water repellent in any way and I only wash my buffalo gear in TechWash, although a decent non-bio washing liquid would be fine. I have the Buffalo sleep system and I love it.. Buffalo stuff just works - wet, dry, clean or filthy

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
xairbourne said:
I have just bought myself a nice new Buffalo Special 6 Shirt Jacket, Being a bit sad I cranked the air con right up in the car and went for a drive to see what its like.

If it’s any consolation I donned my new Swanndri Ranger Shirt yesterday in the pretence that autumn, as distinct from simply lots of rain, had arrived. Bad move especially when someone dragged me into a pub that had their heating full on! Very thirsty work!

I have an Arktis Mammoth Shirt but doubt it will get colder enough this winter to wear it here in SE England.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
xairbourne said:

What's sad about that?

Perfectly normal behaviour.Gear has to be tested in non threatening situations. ;)

Why else would they put aircon in a car? :D

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Top piece of gear, mate. Well done.
I find it *impossible* to wear over 5C.

I've worn it over skin at -5, and had to open the zips for ventilation as I bounced up a hill. If you're moving, I find it hard to believe you could be cold in this country.

Stationary... might be different.

It sheds water like a good 'un, and is warm even if it is wet.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I used to have a Buffalo Special 6 Shirt a long time ago when I was a milkman. I used it day in day out for eight months through the winter. I was washed a couple of times a week, I used to use thermal tops under it. It was excellent.

I never got wet in it and I was out in all weathers. The surface got wet but the wind would dry it. I used to use the side vents all of the time to stop it getting too hot in warmer weather. I bought the hood when it got really cold (with my tips at Christmas as I recall), this made a huge difference to the warmth in very cold weather. The shirt was never cold.

The only damage was a rip from a gatepost, Buffalo sent me a repair patch free with instructions on how to repair the shirt.

My other tip is do not use the shirt under a goretex jacket, it will soon get waterlogged. Pertex seems to spread the water out over a large area to allow it to disperse, this clogged up my goretex, it needed to be dried out before it worked well again.

On the whole an excellent bit of kit.

Stewey. :D

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've yet to develop a proper beargut, so I find that it can get draughty unless you pull the waist cord tight. Only really a problem if you're static, though.
I hope to give mine a kayak test this weekend (although I have no plans of a full immersion).

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Yep excellent piece of gear.

I tend to use mine exclusively at winter field archer shoots for two reasons;

First there is nothing for the string to catch on as it has nice clean lines

Secondly, and most importantly, whilst everyone around me iswearing 4 bulky layers of clothes and can hardly move I just have the Buffalo - worn directly against my skin (as is proper) - so no movement restrictions.

Best thing is everyone else is moaning at how cold it is whilst I'm toasty.

Oh and don't forget to wear a hat :D it make all the difference.

david

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a montane (SP) version of this shirt Fantastic!

Good in a sleeping bag to if you are chilly!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE