Budget merino wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hi hive, can anyone recommend a budget (I'm thinking probably military surplus or super cheap highstreet type) merino wool base layer set (long sleeve top and bottoms).

As we are moving into the cooler months I'm on the look out....

TIA

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure how cheap but a small local brand called EDZ is where I'd look first. Possibly not cheap anymore but they used to be an interesting startup about 15 years or so ago.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I tried Aldi and Lidl a few years ago and find them scratchy but weak and not warm enough for outdoor use.

I also bought a set from Decathlon a few years ago and that is OK. I have no further comparison though and rather turned to a similar light polyester fleece option because I don't intend to wear it for 3 weeks without washing anyway.

The polyester fleece dries much faster and that's much more practical for me.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Not sure how cheap but a small local brand called EDZ is where I'd look first. Possibly not cheap anymore but they used to be an interesting startup about 15 years or so ago.
A quick Google shows them to be still in existence but waaaay out of my price range! Thanks though.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I get mine from Trespass - I know, not a very cool brand. We spend a week in the Lakes every December and the Keswick branch often have them at a sale price. My last lot were only£50 for top and bottom (no hood) Very warm and very comfortable. On me the merino ones are a little looser than fleece, a bit less form hugging and I like that.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Might I suggest Marks and Spencers, they do some nice quality merino wool thermals at a reasonable price (for merino wool anyway, it's not cheap, even at the budget shops!)

And of course, they're not just any merino wool thermals, they're Marks and Spencer merino wool thermals...!!

I've had mine a few years now and they're considerably warmer and thicker than my Aldi merino wool thermals. I keep the Aldi thermals for spring/summer camps and the M&S thermals come out to play in the colder months.

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
The best merino is Dutch Army which does have a mix of fibres making it harder wearing. Got mine fron Forces Kit UK. My Decathlon merino wool top did not wear well.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've never had good experiences with merino garments. I find they wear way too quickly for their price. I usually get holes at less than one year of use. I've stopped buying merino favouring synthetics instead for performance and durability and value reasons.

haptalaon

Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
For the best quality, you should actually look for vintage merino pieces. They're likely to be a bit cheaper, but more importantly, the quality of modern wool is worse than in history, due to overgrazing and climate stress impacting the animals and, in turn, their fleeces.

This is recognised to be a serious problem with cashmire, but I suspect it's true in other wools as well.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Have a look in local charity shops i've found a few merino jumpers which i use as base/ mid layers in winter
This.
In the past I scored a cashmere jumper in my size that lasted 3 full ski seasons as my cold day base layer and good quality wool and wool blend jumpers should be readily available.
Are Marks&Sparks still around? I bought one of their Shetland/Orlon blend sweaters in 1980 and it lasted me for 20 years until it shrunk in the wash and got passed down to my daugters dolly

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Decathlons stuff is good for the price it's a blend of synthetic but has a high content of merino. I also have one of their merino light jackets and its pretty good. I don't think synthetic blends are necessarily a bad thing, it definitely makes wool fabric harder wearing. For comparison I also have icebreaker 100% merino thermals and they are nowhere near as robust and seem to develop holes for no reason, but the fabric does feel nicer.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
you get what you pay for.
i wear Icebreaker vests that are probably around a decade old now and still have years of life left in them.

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Hi hive, can anyone recommend a budget (I'm thinking probably military surplus or super cheap highstreet type) merino wool base layer set (long sleeve top and bottoms).

As we are moving into the cooler months I'm on the look out....

TIA
The trouble with, especially cheaper merino wool is the horrendous issues of animal welfare that go along with it.

Not for the faint hearted

BTW I use Merino but try and buy higher end if I can with some kinds of welfare guarantees.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having been in New Zealand and looking around for bargain Merino wool, I came away with the impression you would have more luck finding unicorn fleece, or rocking horse wool!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE