Buckskin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
If I knew how to post pictures, I would, but right now I'm more technically challenged than a neanderthal! :eek:

Anyways, I've been making buckskin products over the past few years (I don't really sell, except for the occasional belt pouch or possibles bag). All as traditional as I can make them, so don't expect too many biker jackets or chaps from me! :lmao:

Anyways, the only way I can show my work is through my hobby site. Go to www.freewebs.com/primtech and go to "Buckskins".

There's already a few posts there about a warshirt I'm finishing, and some traditional native items made by a friend of mine. I'm also working on getting photos of a possibles bag, my pants and a muskratt fur hat a friend made for me. After that, many other posts.

Reactions: British Red

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Wow that is beautifull just love all the traditional craft skills what have a lot of people lost . great web site enjoyed thanks ilan

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Now that's a work of art OzaawaaMigiziNini !

Warshirt1.jpg

I am mightily impressed (and a little envious)

Eric

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Tell me the signignficance of the gorget? I have always known a gorget as a piece of armour protecting the throat or neck. Lovely possibles bag though. I'm inspired to make one for myself now. If I hung a wolf tail from mine, what would the significance be (in First Nation symbolism)?

Eric

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Eric_Methven said:
Tell me the signignficance of the gorget? I have always known a gorget as a piece of armour protecting the throat or neck. Lovely possibles bag though. I'm inspired to make one for myself now. If I hung a wolf tail from mine, what would the significance be (in First Nation symbolism)?

Eric

The gorget was a piece of protective armour, so over time it signified divine protection (like a charm or amulet).

I can not speak for all of the First Nations tribes, but I will telly ou the signifigance of the wolf to the Anishnaube (Ojibway), my father's tribe;

We admired the wolf and believed at one time, a young boy became lost (after running away from his abusive parents). A mother wolf found him, and raised him. His human parents tried to find him, but he shied away from them, knowing that the mother wolf was more loving than them. We named the wolf Myeengun (Ma-hee-n-gan), which means "not-trusting of us", wolves will shy away from us before they will come near us.

A wolf is a hunter, a loyal friend and a leader. Amongst the Ojibway, the wolf is seen as a being who is close to us, and protects us.

No wild North American wolf has ever harmed a human, except for one rabid wolf, and a wolf that was being attacked (she nipped the man and ran away). They are less harmful than a bull moose during the rut. So you will never find an accurate native story about wolves being evil, such as Europe's "Little Red Riding Hood" or Werewolf stories.

So I suppose the symbol of the wolf is a protective being, that is strong, but shy. To put his tail on your bag may bring his strength and luck to you.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Added on two sheaths I made for my knives to the website. One rawhide and one buckskin. The local trading post is closing down, and selling everything half price! Barely anything left, but I got a 17 sq ft Moosehide for $45 Canadian! :D So I bought it and some scraps of rawhide. They also had a pair of moccasins in size 14 (rare find for a Sasquatch like me) , usually $140, now 70.... so going there next week...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE