Broke my spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
Kind of a milestone really - first knife I ever broke :)

mora_zpscvdcd8jq.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would say youve improved it. The hook on the mora always gets in the way for me. Round the sharp edge a little and POW! YOUR BACK IN THE GAME HOLMES!!!!!!

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
Thanks for the link. I've been looking at different styles from different makers, can't decide. Can I get one of each? :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
It's a shame you're not a little closer or you could have a go with my pair - Dave's are excellent hooks and no mistake. I've used a Mora similar to your broken one and another double edged one with a similar shape and there's a whale of difference. I bought the blades from Dave and handled them myself

20140517_130104_zpsiosgrlth.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
it is a good opportunity to go for something nice I use a dell Stubbs knife form the US, very nice indeed, in a way if you went for anything quality had made you'll be on to a winner :D

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
Thanks Adze. They look great! I definitely like the more open style.

Which one did you use for that spoon ? :)

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
it is a good opportunity to go for something nice I use a dell Stubbs knife form the US, very nice indeed, in a way if you went for anything quality had made you'll be on to a winner :D

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, time to move up a level :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Which one did you use for that spoon ? :)

Both of them, started with the tighter hook and roughed it out and finished some of the details with the more open one. The wood was a stick of cherry, I think, about the thickness of my index finger, a bit thinner when I'd taken the bark off it.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd be keen to try to revise the broken tip into a form that would continue to be useful.
Radius the thing and re-establish a bevel that goes around that circumference.

Since it's already broken, I can't see you doing any damage to what you have left.

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
I've quite a few of Ben Orford's tools and can recommend them highly. I'm also tempted by the fact that Robin Wood makes his own blades now, with or without handle. I like the fact that he leaves the tang round so it would be easy to drill and epoxy in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE