BRKT Aurora - First impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I received a BRKT Aurora from PaulV on this forum a few days ago. I Have to say it was a pleasure to deal with him. I never worked with paypall before, but he explained everything to me. Great service!
The blade was wel wrapped and sent in the original box.

What struck me the most about the knife, is the handle. It's bigger than what I'm used to. BRKT knives usually have rather small handles, but are nice to hold. This one is a bit bigger, ans still nice to hold. Whoever has a Northstar and doesn't like the handle will love this handle.
The handle has CNC contoured Bastogne walnut slabs and looks terriffic. Mosaic pins are an extra.

The blade has a classic spearpoint with, of course, a convex grind. I love convex for ease of sharpening, sharpnes and edge holding. I prefer the BRKT convex over Fallkniven. This one is more subtle and not so steep.
As always, tthe A2 steel came scary sharp.

The sheath is very nice. I've had almost every sheath made for BRKT. This sheath is made inside the BRKT shop by Sharpshooter sheath systems. Ive had the old Gordon sheath, bogdan sheath, JRE industries and now this one. I love the JRE sheath and this one is as great as that one. Double stitched and adapted to the modular system. A firesteel holder is a nice extra.

All in all, it is a very nice package for a very nice price. Micarta slabs are great too, and are cheaper. I prefer the look of wood, but that's just me.
I was hoping to test it the past days, but I had a caraccident and camping isn't possible at the moment.

The, rather poor, pics:

DSC_0069edit.jpg

DSC_0076edit.jpg

DSC_0090edit.jpg

DSC_0093edit.jpg

DSC_0096edit.jpg

DSC_0097edit.jpg

Regards,

Michiel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting Michiel,

I recently picked up a micarta Aurora extra cheap. My views on the convex grind are well known and I won't repeat them here, but it was cheap and I needed a knockabout for dirty jobs having charity raffled my last knife that filled that niche.

My impressions differ from yours in a number of respects - which is interesting. The main one is the sheath - its really nasty in my view - cheap thin leather, not wetformed in any way, and doesn't locate the knife properly. The knife is good in my view - fit and finish are fine and the grind - which will never be a favourite for me - is far less extreme than a Falkie. I am a big fan of a spear point and the blade dimensions and lines are first rate in my view. I had to put a slightly better edge on mine but that was a job of minutes. I expect I will reduce the convexing still more over time

Overall as a "non custom" Bushie knife, its a great buy - although I am very glad topknot solved the sheath problem for me :)

Red

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I don't think our opinions differ very much Red, but as you know I do like convex. The sheath is indeed thin, but I haven't really had a problem with it. It holds the knife firmly in place, so no need for wetforming. i wil wetform it later probably.

Regards,

Michiel

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
I've been using my Aurora for a while now,and I feel as it is the best knife I've used.
I don't have the means to get a custom,and I felt this to be a good choice.
I ordered mine with a green Micarta handle with red spacer material,I liked it so much
I ordered one of their PSK's as well with the same handle.What a great pair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE