British Blades Forum - down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
A screenshot of what I'm seeing:
http://usera.ImageCave.com/DavTy/Clipboard01.jpg
Sorry to clutter up BCUK with this. :eek:

Admin on BB say there is nothing there stopping you accessing. Message as follows:-

He's certainly not blocked in any way. I suspect a rather tenacious cookie or something. See if he can clear them all then log out and click the link. Apart from that there's not a lot we can do, it's obviously at his end. Maybe, if that all doesn't work then he could try a search using site:britishblades.com and clicking from there?

Sorry mate, best I can come up with. :dunno:

pwb

Just thought I'd let you know that It might not only be Leon as I can't seem to get in to BB either :(.

Says ' Closed briefly for server upgrade, please check back soon '

Haven't posted there, as yet, but did sign up and enjoy the site.

Pete.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Admin on BB say there is nothing there stopping you accessing. Message as follows:-

He's certainly not blocked in any way. I suspect a rather tenacious cookie or something. See if he can clear them all then log out and click the link. Apart from that there's not a lot we can do, it's obviously at his end. Maybe, if that all doesn't work then he could try a search using site:britishblades.com and clicking from there?

Sorry mate, best I can come up with. :dunno:

Thanks for trying Zorro. Still have no access however. Interesting that Puub is getting the exact same message.
cheers, Toddy.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
This is the fault of your ISP.

BritishBlades has moved to a new server. What's happened here is that your ISP has not flushed it's DNS records at the appropriate intervals like most others do (you are not on AOL by any chance?). This means that your ISP's cache of records for BritishBlades.com is still pointing to the old server and serving you the last available cached record for the domain from the now defunct serrver. All ISP's should flush the cache every 24 hours, but they are private company's and dont have to adhere to rules or conventions if they dont want to.

I would say it will solve itself in a day or two when your ISP finally gets round to flushing the cache and updating the DNS info.

You have 2 options.

1. Contact your ISP and ask them to update their DNS info.
2. Do nothing, they will eventually update that info as a matter of routine.

Sorry for the hassle. This has been a massive upgrade of both hardware and software, but aside from cosmetic changes in the coming weeks, the site should be functionally available to everyone now.

Try this link...
www.britishblades.com

It'll be slow as hell cos it's filtering through a proxy server, but it should work unless your ISP blocks proxy servers. If it does work for you, it'll prove that your issue is down to your ISP not flushing it's DNS cache and you will know that the issue will eventually resolve itself.

Last edited:

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Thanks to everyone that pitched in to help:). Martyn's post has pinpointed the problem for which I am eternally grateful:notworthy.
As it happens, I'm on the verge of changing ISPs: started with Pipex when it was good - seems a long while back now.
Puub, hope this gets you back in as well.
Cheers for now,
Dave

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
Thanks for that post, Martyn. I've been having a similar problem (mostly it wouldn't let me in, occasionally it would). As Dave was consistently getting in, I ruled out the ISP, but flushed by Mac's dns cache - seems to have worked :)

Jul 1, 2008
Co Durham UK
Right, so the site is up it's just my isp that stopping me from getting on there ?
When ever i have tryed to log on for the least 4 days all i get is a page saying the site is closed for updates ????
I am about to call my isp and go totaly nuts with them, they need to sort their heads out.
Cheers for the update
Oh by the way it's J3st3r :)

Edit, nope i still cant get on :( lappy out the window i think , am going to dump cookies and restart router then its flying lappy :)

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm getting the same thing but I am sure it will be fine by tomorrow.

Yes mate, whenever a site changes server there are always DNS propagation issues.

Some people have had access to the new server almost immediately, some had to wait a few hours and it seems some people are still being pointed to the old server even now. The good news is that nothing is broken and these issues will just simply go away when the new DNS info has fully propagated.

Jul 1, 2008
Co Durham UK
Right, droped all cookies, used cc cleaner, and everyother thing i could think of
Tried other links from google to new post's
Still cant get on , just shows me the "closed for server upgrade........"
Any other thing i can do to get on
I could get on after the upgrade, just i cant now :S
DurhamSteve :( aka J3st3r

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Right, droped all cookies, used cc cleaner, and everyother thing i could think of
Tried other links from google to new post's
Still cant get on , just shows me the "closed for server upgrade........"
Any other thing i can do to get on
I could get on after the upgrade, just i cant now :S
DurhamSteve :( aka J3st3r

I can still only get on via the proxy server link in Martyn's post. Like you, I could get on without a problem after the initial upgrades but ever since the 14th it's been a no go. I'm still getting the same page you are by the sound of it - from any direct link whatsoever.
What ISP are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE