brisa blank query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
I've just ordered the filleting knife kit - €30 delivered. Like you elma - I need to find out about the tools needed to make it...

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
g4ghb said:
love your turning Paul! - where can I get hold of purpleheart??? - I've never even heard of it but even my 5 year old daughter would pick it out a 'line up' for me! :eek:

Well I just came back from a quick trip to poolewood where i added a few items to my shed stock :D
I now have a large lump of purple heart i can turn into handle blanks if anyone wants any.
also picked up a few nuts (banksia/tagua/uxi) for a few little carving projects.

L

Lost_Patrol

Lost Patrol, Iwas hoping you could help. I registered with BB last week but have never received my activation e-mail. If you could have a word with those up high onthe BB forum that would be great. Oh and just in case I mistyped my e-mail here it is again jongirkhan@yahoo.co.uk.

I'm a newby myself so I don't really know those high up, but I'll certainly pass this on to the site mods.

Cheers,
Andy

L

Lost_Patrol

jongir, I've posted a message for the mods on BB. You may want to edit your email address on your post, or it may be picked up by spamming software. Replacing the @ sign with something else usually works eg [removed at sign to stop spam software], will be understood by a person but not a computer.

Cheers,
Andy

L

Lost_Patrol

jongir,
Its looks like you will need to reregister. This was posted by Martyn on BB

There are no users in the database with either that username or email address. Your friend need to go through ther registration process again.

Cheers,
Andy

leon-1

All of the stick tangs in this picture were purchased from Brisa, DennisH has some pretty good service. If you are applying scales to a knife or fitting a handle to a stick tang the hardest part is not fitting them it is shaping them so that they suit you properly.
group8qj.jpg

From left to right, FULL TANG, Grohmann boat knife (walnut handle with 0.25" mosaic pins andblack vulcanised fibre and brass layered liners), Grohmann boat knife (zebra wood with handle 0.25" mosaic pins and black vulcanised fibre liners), Fallkniven F1 (striped ebony handle with 0.25" mosaic pins and black vulcanised fibre liners), STICK TANG, Helle Harding (Cocobolo, red vulcanised fibre, grey vulcanised fibre, buffalo horn and nickel silver handle), Lauri PT95 (Afzelia burl, buffalo horn and nickel silver handle) and last but not least Lauri PT (walnut, green vulcanised fibre, reindeer antler and brass handle).

This handle is held in place by roughened mosaic pins and epoxy resin
handle6ea.jpg

You do not need corby bolts or rivets and in alot of ways these are a lot simpler to use and on the vain side of life they look better :)

leon-1

jongir said:
Very nice knifes leon :D

Thanks mate, but the point is that most any one could make one if they have the correct materials.

People do not need expensive purpose built knife vices or even need to fork out a load of money on expensive materials.

You can get solid brass rod from model shops, these can replace mosaic pins.

Instead of buying expensive bits of wood which are the "correct" size for a knife handle buy a block from Axminster and pay half the price for double or triple the amount which can then become 2 or 3 knife handles or something to play with if you make a mistake.

Buy a lauri PT that costs very little to make the first bits, you'll get a good, efficient and cost effective knife.:)

I agree totally. my first knife cost about £20 all in and I still have stuff left over (look at my avatar). I ordered a lauri carbon for a couple of quid with some reindeer antler. I did get the crown aswell but I messed that up and had to hide the tang under a normal piece of antler. The wood is just standard birch from my local supplier (cannock chase) free of charge. That price includes the leather and rivets(cant sew). but I was well pleased with my first effort. :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
made a decision and ordered some blades from the goodstuff shop on monday!

arrived today!!!!!! :D

hows that for service! :You_Rock_ thanks Per!!!!

(he even threw in some handle bits free as the exchange rate 'changed' - what and ace bloke!!!)

Will defenitly buy from him again!!! :eek: (if swmbo will let me.......)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE