brisa blank query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm thinking of having my first go at 'making' a knife. I thought i'd start with a full tang blade as I prefer the robustness of this type of knife.

Looking at the brisa site - too much choice!:( - i'm drawn to the 'Elk skinner' though see it is a stainless blade and i was rather hopeing for a carbon one!

Has anyone made up one of these? (or any of the brisa full tang blanks) - what do you think of it??

If this is repeatin a previous thread - sorry! but i did look so must have missed it!

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
g4ghb said:
I'm thinking of having my first go at 'making' a knife. I thought i'd start with a full tang blade as I prefer the robustness of this type of knife.

Looking at the brisa site - too much choice!:( - i'm drawn to the 'Elk skinner' though see it is a stainless blade and i was rather hopeing for a carbon one!

Has anyone made up one of these? (or any of the brisa full tang blanks) - what do you think of it??

If this is repeatin a previous thread - sorry! but i did look so must have missed it!

the elk skinner looks good - I made a lapplander 115 from http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/Attleborough_Accessories_Knife_Making.html
again it was stainless but very very nice anyway.
If you truly want a carbon I am sure one of the guys over on british blades would be more than happy to sell you one.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
g4ghb,
I've not made a full tang, but my first makers were Brisa's "Fillet" kit and a "Nordic" kit. The fillet was a practice and went to a mate who was over the moon with it, and the Nordic was mine, using the lessons learnt in the fillet project. Drilling the handle right through (being a stick tang) presented no real problems, I used a SAK saw to open out the hole for the tang. Poked it through applied some epoxy and peined the end over the conical washer.
I used to think that fulltangs were strong and hence better, but if I'm using my stick tang Nordic, where there is a danger of snapping the tang, I'm using the wrong tool alltogether.
Give any kit a try, and before too long, you'll be eyeing up all sorts of knife related projects.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
The brisa blanks come ready to be finished. One of them has some forge scale ( ht scale) on the tang but you'll be working the wood to fit the tang anyway, so that will vaninsh as the knife gets finised.

I like brisa... my wife doesn't......:(
:eek:

Hi, My first was a lauri carbon. I found it really nice to work with.

Bardster, I just ordered a laplander 115 what is it like, this will be my first attempt at a bushcraft type knife I can't seem to find anything on the search about riveting. Anybody point me in the right direction for a tutorial. :lmao:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
jongir said:
Hi, My first was a lauri carbon. I found it really nice to work with.

Bardster, I just ordered a laplander 115 what is it like, this will be my first attempt at a bushcraft type knife I can't seem to find anything on the search about riveting. Anybody point me in the right direction for a tutorial. :lmao:

its a really nice blade - bit longer than i like but works well. razor sharp!
here's there thread on the one i made. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=7728&highlight=lapplander
the rivets were cutlers rivets i got from attacc and you just push them together - then a mild tap with a hammer. I forgot to glue my slabs on but the rivets have held it superbly. When you file/sand the handle to shape you grind/sand/file the tops of the rivets off leaving them flush with your handle material.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
jongir said:
Thanks bardster, Thats a really nice knife, can't wait now till I get mine through. I always wondered how those (male female) rivets worked never used them before. Can't wait to get started, how about a wood suggestion. :beerchug:

what have you got? :)
as you saw on mine i used curly birch but almost anything will work. My next will probably have lignum vitae or rosewood. Kingwood and Cocobolo are also popular.
hehe I have a shed full of offcuts from my woodturning so have lots of choices.
Olivewood always has wonderful grain patterns.
Be aware that some woods like oilive/lignum/cocbolo are oily so extra steps need to be taken before glueing - ie wipe with acetate to remove surface oil first.
Have a look at my website and the bowls for some wood examples.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
love your turning Paul! - where can I get hold of purpleheart??? - I've never even heard of it but even my 5 year old daughter would pick it out a 'line up' for me! :eek:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
L

Lost_Patrol

I made a Brisa kit elk skinner recently. There is a (not very good) picture of it on British Blades site. I'm at work at the moment so I can't reach BB to post a link, but I'll add one later. Look in my gallery on BB if you can't wait for the link.

The Buffalo scales polish up great - the knife looks much better in real life than the picture. The 440 blade is on the softish side but is a doddle to sharpen razor sharp in seconds.

I can thoroughly recomend Brisa - I am a very satisfied customer. :D

Edit : Heres the link http://www.britishblades.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1240

Cheers,
Andy

Lost Patrol, Iwas hoping you could help. I registered with BB last week but have never received my activation e-mail. If you could have a word with those up high onthe BB forum that would be great. Oh and just in case I mistyped my e-mail here it is again jongirkhanyahoo.co.uk.

Cheers

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Iv'e just purchased some stuff from Brisa
Lauri 125 carbon blade
Lauri 95 laminated blade
block of curly birch
3 pieces of raindeer antler
black vulcanised fibre
raindeer stag crown
all the above for 60 euro about £40 and that includes shipping taxes and paypal, I ordered it on saterday and was suprised to to see the parcel waiting for me on wednesday.
I now need ideas on how to make it :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE