Bratwurst's Not Included

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Food parcel arrived today from the chief of mothers new tribe, Jager Sobe, Kartoffelpuffer's and that most prized of condiments Lowensenf!
Looks like I am off hunting in Lidl's for a few packs of bratwurst's to go with it. Thankyou Colin :beerchug:
foodparcel.jpg
Some of you reading are wondering what gives? Sausages,Yellow mustard, Potato pancakes & Spicy gravy.
It's difficult to explain but the Germans have really nailed the recipe. Try it, I guarantee you will eat till it hurts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If European mustard companies were really honest, I wonder how many exist but for the quality of Canadian mustard seed.
Grey Poupon and DiJon have been spotted buying 100% Canadian mustard seed, French's does much the same for a best seller (globally).

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Sorry, Coleman's English mustard powder for me every time, mixed into a paste with water, not vinegar. All the other mustards seem so insipid by comparison.

Dave

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'll second the Coalmans, bostin good stuff.

Ive not tried the Canuck stuff meself but as as MartiniDave has said everything I've tried is inspid in comparison.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Colemans probably buy their seed from Canada. I'm a fan of the English on sausages and ham, but a steak needs a good Dijon, franks and wurst, squirty American or German.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm waiting. The overseas demand for Canadian mustard seed has made some wealthy people in the prairies.
In fact, some have begun to build a prepared mustard factory somewhere in southern Saskatchewan.
That, I most certainly need to try.

I've got 4 kinds of mustard in the fridge and Keene's in the cupboard.
Coleman & Keene = same people behind the two different labels?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Coleman's = Unilever
Keene's = McCormic

Had to look it up.

Seems Pakistan and India are the largest producers of the seed. Canada third. Nepal 4th.
Wiki is a friend.

You must eat a lot of Hot Dogs in Canada!
And they seem to eat a lot of hot dogs in India, Pakistan and Nepal!

I prefer Swedish grown, organic seeds. Have more bite than the others, but not as violent as the Coleman's mustard powder. only the Gods ( and Ms Coleman0 knows how they get the powder to be so ultra hot!
Ingredients say only mustard.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There must be many different varieties of mustard with particular uses in mind.

I cook with yellow and black seed. Not the foggiest idea if they are named varieties.
Many, many asian recipes use mustard seed so their volumes must likewise be substantial.

Mustards are the glue that hold the onion in place with hotdogs, bratwursts and others.
Clearly one of my food groups.
From time to time in cities, I find some Wiener-Wagon vendors.
Even in the snow, if it isn't too cold.
I can't ever pass up a brat with mustard and onions, hot or cold, rain or shine.
Mustards with prepared meats like salami, cooked meats like ham.
Off hand, I must have half a dozen sauce recipes for meats with mustard in them.
Nearly endless list.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, mustard is incredibly versatile.

For me, a quality Frankfurter / Wiener with Mills Senap ( Norwegian brand) and home grated horseradish is the height of a culinary expression.

In a French stick, I hate those soft breads it is usually served in.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bishop got a German C.A.R.E. package. I should be so lucky.
What's the mustard brand? I can look for it in the city.

Biggest company here is probably Grimms. Lots of prepared meats and several kinds of brats,
even one with bits of cheese in it. Meh. K.I.S.S.

Many years ago in the city, I went to the local OktoberFest.
I went for the food.
Couple of brats on buns with mustard and a big mug of beer.
Listen to the band, watch the drunks leap around, go home.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am brought up on the Germanic Haute Cuisine. Britain became habitable for me when Waitrose introduced their German foods. And even better when Lidl opened the store in Crowborough.

Kremser mustard.

Last edited:

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Food parcel arrived today from the chief of mothers new tribe, Jager Sobe, Kartoffelpuffer's and that most prized of condiments Lowensenf!
Looks like I am off hunting in Lidl's for a few packs of bratwurst's to go with it. Thankyou Colin :beerchug:
View attachment 46120
Some of you reading are wondering what gives? Sausages,Yellow mustard, Potato pancakes & Spicy gravy.
It's difficult to explain but the Germans have really nailed the recipe. Try it, I guarantee you will eat till it hurts.

Try the Aldi ones. The original ones not the one with chilli in it. They make a hell of a currywurst!!!������

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Hah, a month ago my 82 year old godmother watched a documentary in Germany about the "very bad bread in England" so she sent me a whole loaf of german sourdough bread made with sunflower oil. Hhhmmmmmm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE