Bows saws, your thoughts please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I need to get a bow saw for someone as a Christmas gift, and I thought that there's bound to be someone here who knows of a bargain buy. Any other comments, observations or thoughts are also welcome.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Just a normal one for cutting up small logs and pruning trees in the garden, any serious work I do with a chainsaw. I'm aware that there are different blades for green and seasoned wood. I thought someone round here would have spotted a bargain somewhere.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Twelveboar,
I don't know of a real bargain bowsaw but I do know that my 24 inch Jack bowsaw is as good today as when I bought it years ago. A little ridiculous I know because a bowsaw is only really as good as the blade but with a decent blade it has served me well.
Avoid anything with a Spear and Jackson label as you will wind up paying more just for the name but I would think if you spot a Jack or a Bahco (Sandvik as they used to be) you won't go far wrong.
Tack

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
To be honest I think that with items like this where you will only save a quid or so I prefer to buy locally and chuck a bit of trade at the building supplies places.

Loads of them will stock them as roofers use them for cutting laiths (sp?).

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I agree with demographic you might save a quid or two online and loose it again in the postage also next few weeks aren't a good time to risk it getting lost in the post
Dave

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Brooklands Garden Centre in Hazel Grove have pretty decent bow saws for £3.99. £3.99!!!!! I've got myself one and they're good cutters too. If you're not anywhere near Stockport, you could always look in your local garden centre and see what they have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE