Bowdrill... My first coal!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Realising i had all the components to make a set-up... Dried willow hearth, same with the drill, welsh oak cup and hazel bow I knocked a kit up to see if i could learn from someone at the RC meet hopefully.

Well, I went to burn it in a bit and practice technique of some sorts but to my surprise plooms of smoke started billowing out!

I had to abandon my sucsess as i was actually in the living room... And it somewhat 'stinks'

Got brekkie down me this-morning and straight outside... The first two attempts seen smoke from the dust last around 10 seconds and then nothing, so realising the air is cold and very damp here today, 3rd attempt and some 'welly' towards the end resulting in...

vzwlfn.jpg

A coal! It burned a couple of mins and got more intense.

555vex.jpg

All-in-all, I'm rather pleased with myself.... Long may my luck continue :)

TBL.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
well done al nice coal add it to the i can do that list, al 2 dave 1 have to play catch uplol regards dave

iboga

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2010
England
Awesome! I had a try at this in the LD but got realy frustrated with the action of the bow.
Apparently theres a rhythm/balance to it ive gotta figure out..

p.s. you're burning a hole in your car insurance policy.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Excellent!. Can I ask what sort of string you are using? And is the nationality of the oak important? ;)

Z

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers guys, managed another two coles today...
Tricky getting them to catch as it got even damper this afternoon but my tinder bundle just would not have it!
Was just some scrunched up bracken with some birch bark peelings but having the cole burn out twice on me,
i then realised the bracken would not light with a lighter, let alone an ember!

The heat was there, so I'll try again with something more sutable next time :)

Welsh oak is an absolute must, but you may get away with ordinary oak, or hands like leather at a push LoL! And dont forget to pack your AA return letter, just-in-case :)

Also be aware, both ends of the spindle get rather hot, and there where several 'yowches' today while playing.

I'm still pretty gob smacked that i picked this up from a few video's and a couple of attempts... so, if you've not tried it before, i would highly recommend just giving it a go!

Regards, TBL.

P.s the string was just standard paracord, but the genuine US stuff which seems more than up for the job. I have nothing to compare it against, so any paracord might work!?

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well done TBL........

with the tinder bundle try wrapping the tinder in thick birch bark, this holds the heat in and helps dry out the tinder before it lights.......TBH though it is harder this time of year even with good tinder simply due to the moisture in the air.........

i also thought you would like this thread http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/bowdrill/pmoc/basicbowdrill.html its what i used to start of with........

dont forget when you first start to put some grass leaves or green vegetation of some sort into your bearing block this cuts down the heat and help loob it up too.....when you start to sroke the bow front to back dont go to fast use little pressure, this forms dust when the notch is 3/4 full go faster and add more pressure, this will add the heat to the dust so it can form a coal.....

anyway take a look at the thread see what you think.......

great job...... 1 gold star........*******

chris.............................................................

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
Well done TBL!
Great feeling to make fire like this,i need to work on my kit i was trying with when we met up last.
Good to know that paracord is a goer too, was trying to think of something else i could use.

Keep the rythmn!!:eek:
Scott

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers lannyman, I have the basics to produce a coal which really has still surprised me...
I'm chuffed with that alone and will look at the link, cheers for adding it :)

I did cheat a little today and used a small blob of grease in the cup the second time around, but I've read that green leaves, or even slugs (yup, i laughed too) make good lube to keep things smooth! I'll try the birch bark and plan on taking some straw with me next time, as I've managed to light this with cramp balls and char-cloth, but only once, first attempt though thanlks to Scott of the Llandow showing us the technique!

And thanks Scott, it was your friction by fire watchings that gave me the curiosity to attempt it! I had a pile of firewood (oak and dried willow) in a box for the meet coming up, and two hazel sticks that where actually destined to become walking sticks, putting the lot together came out of boredom and 'Hmmmm, lets see what happens' LoL!

I'll bring the gubbins next time we meet, and hopefully man make fire :)

atb, TBL.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
its not to late to make Brockwell Stu........lol......

grrrr!,...

i loaded up my pickup today just for the park with the kids,...

as i was loading up, all that was going thru my head was all the bits and bobs i could throw in if i was coming up,...

i need to sort out a cold weather solution to my set up yet,...,..

dried leaves and a couple of wool blankets wont cut it at 4 oC ,....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE