bowdrill modification...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

andyman

Hi everybody!
Im pretty new to the ways of the bush and brand new to BushcraftUK :newbie:

Am i right in thinking If you carved the center of your drill to a thinner diameter you would get more revolutions per stroke? just a thought.... i haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I made myself a bowdrill set from willow and am getting closer every time i try :D

btw great community you got here guys..

Dogface

Jun 16, 2005
Surrey
It's always worked when I've tried. If the drill gets too thin, though, the cord tends to slip on it rather than spin it.

Welcome, by the way!

Oh, and Happy Birthday.

Nick.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome, congrats and persevere with that bow-drill just as it is - when you've cracked it then you're in a better position to know what things can be changed.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In theory, it can work to a certain extent.
The problem is with use the the spindle will wear down so what was once in the middle will end up moving further down the spindle and eventually be the end, reducing the surface area on the hearth board.
It's better I think to get the right sized spindle (about the width of your thumb) and use that rather than trying to do anything too fancy with it.
If it's worked for thousands of years....

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE