Bowdrill: Fire By Friction Tutorial/Tips (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
What a great post. made my first bow drill set about 30 mins ago and have been frantically drilling away in the kitchen, coming back in to look at your tutorial then back to the sawing :)
Hav'nt made it smoke yet but thanks to your post I know I'm on the right track and wont give up. Thanks again.

Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
Hey Woodwalker, Thanks very much for your tutorial and the encouragement. I'm very pleased to announce that tonight i did it (twice :morpheus: ) :) I'm so pleased :D Right gonna try and do it a couple more times before bed :rolleyes:

Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
woodwalker said:
Hurray! Was it your first time?
thanks
First time with the bow drill we've(me & my boy) had success with firesteels and various tinders. The first one we made had a hearth of oak but we didnt really get any joy with that. We switched to a hearth of Ivy and produced glowing embers for the first time last night. We're looking to improve on our bow now. Noticed Mors Kochanski suggests a straight bow(?) And we have yet to do it under "field" conditions
Few bits of wood and a length of string! cheapest hobby I've ever had :lmao:

Great!

Yeah I read Mors' thing abouty straight bows too. I tried it out, but found I prefered a mild curve in it as it prevented my knuckles smashing on the drill. I understand where he is coming from though - it is much harder to support a bow with a hefty curve in it than a straight one. The most important thing I find is length though, trying to work with bows that are too short is a real pain. Experiment with different sizes.

What drill wood did you use on the ivy?

woodwalker

Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
I think our bow is on the short side at 2'. We used Hazel for the drill and oak for the bearing block. we'll try a longer bow and experiment with different woods for the drills and maybe different sizes too :)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Thanks largely to inspiration from this thread, I made fire by friction today!

Thanks for the encouragement here :You_Rock_

Here's a photo of my hearth and the story of my afternoon

394264793_8a77b1b886_b.jpg

From the left:
1. First attempt. Lots of stop and start drilling. I got a very small ember but couldn't keep it alight
2. I didn't bed in the drill enough and it kept jumping out, so abandoned
3. I got a nice ember, but my tinder wouldn't take, I think it was too damp
4. I took a break, dried the tinder thoroughly, got a nice ember and this time the tinder took fine - success!!

I was using a bought drill set from Dave Watson . I know some of you think this is fire making by numbers and not the real deal, but I did figure out all the different wood I was using, learnt a lot about how the various pieces fit together, and certainly feel confident I can move on from here to making my own set from what I can find.

Anyway, immensely satisfying and above all fun, big thanks to woodwalker for his original post! :D

Chris

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
woodwalker said:
Out of interest, what is the wood it is made from and what does the kit comprise of?

It comprises 4 pieces - bow is Ash, hearth (as per pic) is Lime, drill is Hazel and bearing block is Hawthorn.

Chris

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of free time over the next couple of days, and I thought it might be an idea to expand this thread. I already thought that it could do with exanding, and as someone PM'ed me about some more info yesterday, it seems to be the thing to do.

So, does anyone have any ideas?? I will probably try and do more on constructing the bowdrill set as there aren't that many photos there, or maybe something else??

cheers
woodwalker :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE