Bow Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 5, 2007
Hi, I'm quite new to bushcraft but i have spent some time making rough 12th century long bows from ash. now i am looking to learn more and make myself some better gear. so any general advice that can be given would be fantastic, as i am meant to be kitting out some of a whole group of archers.

Also, on the subject of fletching, anybody know of a good way of getting hold of goose feather or any other type that would be suitabe?

Thanks.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Have had a few goes at bow making found Ash the best easy to work with Tried sycamore not a good choice I recently tried Witch Elm found it fairly easy to work probably not a bad choice but bewear of knots Question what will you be using for the bow string a modern or a traditional string

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Aside from buying the commercially 'dried and died' turkey feathers, I have obtained feathers for feltching from a number of different locations:

- Ebay often has people selling goose feathers for use in arts/crafts projects such as dreamcatchers etc.
- Poultry farms are often a good source as they remove the pinion feathers from turkeys/geese to stop them flying away
- Failing that a walk by any major river will normally yield a few goose or swan feathers, although it might take a while to get a usable quantity of feathers of the same size/wing etc.

Bear in mind that only the pinion feathers from the very ends of the wings are suitable, and that only feathers from the same wing can be used together on one arrow. When choosing feathers, look for a really visable oil line that runs the length of the feather (visable if you hold them to the light):)

Hope that this helps

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Wish i had read this earlier, picked up 50 Goose feathers in under ten minutes at my lakes, nephew has them at the moment for a school project.

Im back up there tomorrow evening, if i see any lying around i'll pick em up and let yer know.

ATB

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
If you're looking for them for free find your nearest large body of water and walklots. I've found swan feathers as well. Buying them, I've found two option. The first one is fishing shops, They sometimes have them for tying flies. The other is those new age sort of shops. they sometimes have them. They will be full feathers and you will need to work them down. For filing the shaft of the feather down I use two rulers, one wood and one steel glued together at one end. Flex the steel rule out and slide the rough cut feather in with the shaft tight against the edge and file away.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
On a similar note I just started making a primitive bow out of Wych Elm today - will post some pics when it's done if you are interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE