Bow Drills on e-bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 20, 2005
Hi all,
Have enjoyed reading all the posts so far so I thought it was about time I made my first post. So be gentle with me :rolleyes:

I've noticed a couple of Bow Drill sets for sale on e-bay. Can anyone tell me the point of this? Surely it would be better to learn how to make one. If you are prepared enough to buy a set surely you just might as well take a box of matches or a lighter!

Any thoughts? :confused:

country boy

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2005
cornwall/devon border
The point someone wants to make a buck and are trying to cash in on the growing intrest in bushcraft. Half the fun or fustration is trying to make one then trying to get the first glimmer of hope a little whisp of smoke (And that sound DAD when is it going to work Ray Mears did it!!!!)

leon-1

country boy said:
The point someone wants to make a buck and are trying to cash in on the growing intrest in bushcraft. Half the fun or fustration is trying to make one then trying to get the first glimmer of hope a little whisp of smoke (And that sound DAD when is it going to work Ray Mears did it!!!!)

Very true, but then again who buys a friction fireset on e-bay because in the UK you are never really very far from somewhere with the materials to make one yourself. :rolleyes:

country boy

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2005
cornwall/devon border
leon-1 said:
Very true, but then again who buys a friction fireset on e-bay because in the UK you are never really very far from somewhere with the materials to make one yourself. :rolleyes:
Just seen one 5 bids up to £25 whats the cost of a bit of time and cord

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
country boy said:
Just seen one 5 bids up to £25 whats the cost of a bit of time and cord

Some people may not have had the chance to learn how to select and carve a bow drill set. I bet they are not going to be happy after spending £25 and not creating an ember. People will always look for quick fixes and others will find a way to make cash out of them.

I'm off to the woods to start carving :)

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Ebay does have a lot to answer for and people will always try it on.........but on the other hand :rolleyes: not everyone has the chance or the opportunity to go out to there nearest wood and carve their own.

We must remember that it is easy for most people on the forum to make their own but not everyone is so lucky. If buying of Ebay allows someone a bit of fun or to try something they have seen on TV then why not.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Jack said:
Ebay does have a lot to answer for and people will always try it on.........but on the other hand :rolleyes: not everyone has the chance or the opportunity to go out to there nearest wood and carve their own.

We must remember that it is easy for most people on the forum to make their own but not everyone is so lucky. If buying of Ebay allows someone a bit of fun or to try something they have seen on TV then why not.
Well said,
And if it gets them interested enough to try to make their own or get into bushcraft then so much the better!

leon-1

To a degree I agree with both Jack and dtalbot, but what is that person going to think when they learn to do bow drill and have got into bushcraft. You know when they have been doing it for a few years.

Are they going to sit back and have a laugh about it (a mirthfull little chuckle) or are they going to think that they were ripped off by the bushcraft mob. :confused:

Whoever it is already is showing that they have an interest in fire by friction and has probably got an interest in bushcraft itself otherwise they wouldn't be looking at the set (unless they have prior knowledge of the goverments latest plans to ban matches and lighters because people can get burnt :rolleyes: )

I just think that the money could be better spent on a couple of decent books, one on tree identification and one on bushcraft. :)

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
country boy said:
whats the cost of a bit of time and cord
By the looks of it, about 25 quid.

I don't have a problem with making something and selling it, and I'm surprised the bids have gone up that far for such a crude product. For £25 I'd want mine polished, signed, a handcarved forest landscape design on the hearth and a pewter cap on the top end of the drill.

Still, like someone said, it's worth whatever someone's prepared to pay for it.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
leon-1 said:
To a degree I agree with both Jack and dtalbot, but what is that person going to think when they learn to do bow drill and have got into bushcraft. You know when they have been doing it for a few years.

Are they going to sit back and have a laugh about it (a mirthfull little chuckle) or are they going to think that they were ripped off by the bushcraft mob. :confused:

Don't think it's a case of rip off Leon.No one is forced to bid.The people that do bid obviously think it's worth the money :rolleyes:

leon-1

BorderReiver said:
Don't think it's a case of rip off Leon.No one is forced to bid.The people that do bid obviously think it's worth the money :rolleyes:

Yep totally agree, but that is at the time of purchase, what I was saying is what will they think later, once they have been out and made thier own sets (apart from I could flog these on e-bay). :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE