bow drill problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have been trying to make a willow bow drill set but I am having problems setting it in.

The problem is that whatever I use to lubricate the bearing block I am burning up the block and block end of the drill but the hearth and hearth end of the drill is just getting polished .

What am I doing wrong?

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
This is probably the root of the problem. You need to use a block that is harder than the drill, using the same wood for drill and hearth board is fine.
Try using a bearing block of Oak or Box (or, if you can get it, Antler).
This should allow you to bear down hard enough.
About the polishing at the other end of the drill, this could be a sign that the drill is too moist/green.......is the set made from dead wood?
oh.....if you still experience burning at the block end.....try inserting a brass pin into the socket.
Hope this helps. :)

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
Make sure you sharpen the end of the stick that goes to the bearing block, to minize friction. And you can roughen up the surface of the hearth board and ad to sand or ashes to cause additional friction there. Atleast that works for me.

or just turn the bow kit upside down....

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Don't think turning it around had not crossed my mind :D but the bearing block is only palm sized.

I did bring the block end of the drill to a point and have roughed up the hearth with sand paper and cut raidial groves in the end of drill.

leon-1

Chris have you tried setting it in a different hole, sometimes you get an area where the grain is more tightly packed (like you would do near a knot in the wood) and this would make it considerably harder for the drill to bed in.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
leon-1 said:
Chris have you tried setting it in a different hole, sometimes you get an area where the grain is more tightly packed (like you would do near a knot in the wood) and this would make it considerably harder for the drill to bed in.

I was beginning to think that myself. I think I must have split the hearth with the grain and the block across.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Try to make your spindle almost flat at the hearth end, and carved to a sharp point at the block end. Then carve a small hole in the block that is deep but not very wide, at the same angle as the point. Use Green wood for your bearing block too, as this will make it run much easier. Extra lubrication is also good!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Through my very limited experimentation I have had the same problem, but a few months ago I tried using a block of green alder. Just split it in half and added some spruce gum to the hole. I used it a few times before it dried and it now seems like this block has become custom fit to that particular spindle.

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE