Book or Kindle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have an ipad via work (ergo. Free) so made sense for me to install the kindle app.
Increased my book reading count tenfold on the train.
So convenient. And hopefully kinder to our trees.I’m
The Kindle app is vastly superior to actual Kindle. Only thing is you can’t buy a book via the app, but it’s easy enough to do using Amazon in your browser.

Kindle is for pulp fiction reading, like Reacher, Orphan X type thing. Books for reference or a proper read. Audio stuff is ok, Alice Through the Looking Glass read by a woman with a strong American accent isn’t.

Reactions: Potatohead

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I like both.
Same as others I like the feel of a real book but enjoy the convenience and read any time any where of the Kindle. I use the app on my phone and it has made many a waiting room expereince more productive than doom scrolling.:)

Mar 10, 2023
Belgium
Conventional books for reference, kindle for pleasure reading, borrowbox and PressReader for newspapers and magazines (free via libary). Lots of audio books via Audible subscription and BorrowBox. A good narrator brings a book to life, separates out the characters and pronounces the places names correctly. Some series I listen to exclusively as an audiobook and some kindle and audiobook but with a year or so separation.
Any favourite audiobook recommendations?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I guess it depends what you are into? I often get into a series because of the narrator as much as the author of that makes sense. Some I listen to as one offs others are series that I might listen to every 18 months or so. Just looked and I have 379 titles in my collection!

Sean Barret has done some that I liked. The Angus Watson Age of Iron Trilogy
David Monteth narrating the Denzil Meyrick - D C I Daley series
I really like Rupert Farley narrating the Sharpe series.
Jonathan Keeble is good - The Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwall. He also does quite a lots of the Simon Scarrow - Eagles of the Empire
I like the Harry Gilmour submarine series. The books are a good read also.
Jack Lark series is quite an interesting series. Can get a bit romance but the first few books are quite good fun.
Demon Cycle series by Petter V.Brett. Good concept. Bit American.

Quite often I buy the kindle books on offer that I like and get the audio books at reduced price. Also they do an Audible daily deal and offers for members.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I was going to audition to narrate audiobooks. Famous authors want famous narrators but lesser folk are happy with an unknown voice. My friend does it and encouraged me to go for audition. I didn’t because I couldn’t create a silent space. My friend works from under several duvets.

Reactions: nigelp

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Looks interesting.
Peter Kenny is the narrator. I have some Iain Banks books he narrated. More to add to my listen list.
Peter Kenny absolutely makes these audiobooks. Not sure how much I'd appreciate the books if I'd just read them.

Reactions: nigelp

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Both; I love books i find them more comfortable to read but with kindle you can carry a load of books in a tiny package especially if you just use the app installed on your phone.

For me the biggest drawbacks of my kindle device are the lack of colour screen so viewing any colour picture you end up with a grainy black and white, for reading text only its a great tool.
You are also more or less locked in to Amazon for buying books and on top of that not all kindle books are available/compatible on all kindle devices!!! I have the kindle app on my phone but cant get all titles on my phone to work with my kindle device!!!

After a couple of years with a kindle device I wouldn't buy another one and would just use the app on my phone. My phone has a colour display and can have multiple reading/listening apps installed plus I always have it on me and you aren't paying out for a second device.

Books on the other hand .......im away at the moment and still have 3 books with me even though I have my kindle with me.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've always read a lot so love books, not right keen in Kindle as I just don't feel the love for em.
Audiobooks however?
Yeah, I like them. Good for when I'm driving a lot.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I’m the opposite. I feel I don’t have the time to sit and read a book. I was listening to Harry Potter earlier while fitting insulation in the loft - bit hard to read a book at the same time!
Exactly this - Michael Caine was reading me his autobiography yesterday whilst I shoveled woodchip. I get through a couple of audiobooks a week

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I used to go on holiday with a bag of books nearly as heavy as the one with my clothes: all the books that I hadn’t got round to reading. - This was in the days when I was working.
I wear trousers with a total of nine pockets. The Kindle with its 180+ “books” many of them anthologies and “box sets” slides neatly and almost weightlessly into a zipped seam pocket.

Also I can keep my books in “collections” putting a single book into several categories. Pratchet books can go into categories:
Fun
Philosophy
Metaphysics.
and of course THE LOT.

If I like a book in a series I can read the next one right away as long as I have a wifi connection. At one of my holiday haunts that means in the pub the next day.

It’s also synced with my phone.
I do like my Kindle - can you guess?
Me too so Kindle become a necessity. Weirdly I prefer to read now on my kindle or computer however I often buy the book regardless.
Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes read by Stephen Fry.
Also Ray reads British Woodland himself.
Dresden Series read by James Masters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE