Book in the right direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
Hello,

Ive a bit more time for reading lately and I'm on the lookout for some new books to add to my 'library' (not quite - yet!):empty:
I am currently building my knowledge specifically to hunting, foraging & living of the land in the countryside with regards to season, preparation, navigation, species, uses & methods:confused: (In the UK)

I would like some advice as to where to turn next, I have a huuuge book wish list but I'm not sure what my next purchases should be.Specifically gear to my level (novice) but not repetitive or slow.

With regards to this topic, I have :
a) The poachers handbook
b) The notorious poacher
c) Collins Trees
d) Collins Food for free
e) BASC handbook of shooting
f) The concise Fishing Encyclopedia
g) The poachers cookbook
h) Ways of the gamekeeper

What do you recommend next? ;)

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
If you dont have lofty wisemans sas suvivle guid the get it its a simular size to collins trees so can always take it with also theres a raymears book which focases on the seasons which name escapes me but may be of intrest

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There are heaps of books but one of the most integrated books on flora and fauna in Scotland as well as some natural history and geology/geography is Hostile Habitats. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hostile-Habitats-Scotlands-Environment-Hillwalkers/dp/0907521932 Not specifically aimed at 'crafters but a good all round book as to what's out there.
Don't dismiss the little Collin's Pocket guides to trees, wild plants, seashore, birds and the likes. Good little handy pocket sized keys you can keep with you on a walk.

Hope this is of help, can flick through my bookshelves and look for others if you like?

ATB,
GB.

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
"Buckshots complete survival trapping guide"
Its geared towards the USA/Canadian scene and alot of it is not legal in this country but it is an interesting book none the less.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival by Mors L Kochanski and Woodcraft and Camping by George Washington Sears are two of my favourite books, not UK based but full or core skills an a great read to boot, sadly not pocket sized.

For uk specific +1 for the Collins pocket books as Goatboy advised, these are worth their weight in gold even if they were a4 sized and hardback

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
+1 for Bushcraft by Kochanski (sp?)

May I also suggest Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger? It contains lots of good ideas, though some of them might need a bit more planning than the plans in the book suggest. I have found it a good place to find things to do with Scouts and teenagers.

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE