Boar Skin Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
Hello

I have a Boar skin that's been fleshed / scraped then dried and smoked on a frame, I'm wanting to make it into a quiver simply by wrapping it around a cylindrical tube so it fits nicely. But I'd also like to be able to take if off the tube and use it to sit on as mat.
Do I need to knead it with a blunt stick to make it more pliable / softer ?
Will it need further treating so it won't rot in wet weather ?
It also has a bit of a smell any tips on getting rid of the Boar scent ?

Thanks

leon-1

I wish I could give you more info on this, but I don't honestly know enough, but generally the pliability comes down to the tanning process (different types of tanning produce stiffer leathers). You may be able to make it more pliable by oiling the hide.

The smell is something which is a big problem with boar skin, infact most members of the pig family have a distinctive smell to their hides. On normal pigskin I use resolene to seal the hide which reduces the odour, but if you have oiled the hide I doub't that it will work very well. You won't really get rid of the smell, you could possibly use a soft wax like clear shoe polish to try and mask the smell after you have oiled it.

It's the only thing I can suggest.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE