Boar returned to England! (At least for a while)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
who will :)

I have a secret weapon to attract any animal.....and then kill it

it is called the Pate that is found in army ration packs (hey neil!) :)

i ate some once...and almost died :) whilst on a tracking course :)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
stoddy said:
I think it is great to have a bit of fun whilst out walking :)

it is good to know we have an adversary again in the wilds of england :)

I take it you have never come across a very stubborn Red Stag then :lmao:

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Local paper even reported a few spotted near burrator resevoir on dartmoor. only up the road from me so I may have to go and take a look lol !

Booshpig ( im one aswell ya know )

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yeah these werent the first farmed boar to escape back in to the 'wild' in england, i think it was the largest number in one go though!

anyone remember the boar attack thread last year?

anyways.. does anyone know if these are the same as, or how closely related to, these boar would be to the native ones had they not been hunted to extinction(Sp)??

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
tomtom said:
anyways.. does anyone know if these are the same as, or how closely related to, these boar would be to the native ones had they not been hunted to extinction(Sp)??

According to the report there is a link to earlier in this thread, all european wild boars are considered one specie. But there seems to be a lot of differences within the specie.

From what I know russian boar are the biggest. And they are supposedly invading northern Norway and Sweden via Finland now.

Torjus Gaaren

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Your wolves had better watch out. They dont wanna be messing with those boars.

As an aside, I remember watching a nature program a few years ago, where a warthog family was being chased by a leopard. The mother warthog decided enough was enough, turned on a sixpence, and headed straight for the leopard, headbutted it and sent it about 6 foot in the air.

Needless to say the surprised leopard dissappeared up a tree.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Having lived in wild boar territory for 3 years now I have only ever seen 1 boar but heard them at a distance quite often. They are generally shy creatures and avoid human contact. I often see their tracks and they will often have favourite trees which they rub up against, rubbing off the bark and leaving lots of ginger coloured hairs.
Interestingly the local hunters here paint creosote onto these trees as it attracts the sanglier (wild boar). I can confirm that they are delicious to eat :)

On the Riviera area of the S of France they have 'sanglochons' - an odd breed derived from crossing a wild boar (sanglier) with a pig (cochon) :D

Apparently a new record sanglier was recently shot in the Pyrenees which weighed 355kg which is around 782 lbs (55 stone) :eek:

Whilst, as wild creatures they can be potentially dangerous, especially if cornered, they are something I look forward to seeing and welcome in the countryside.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
On my farm there is a tree scrape as described above, that has a hollow under it that the local hunters did indeed pour creosote. They then sat in my ruin 15 meteres away and poked the gun through the window. Bit of a duck shoot really...
I regularily find trotter prints on the mud. They regularily come into where the plants are watered to get a free drink along with foxes, rabbits etc. Theres also loads of prints around my spring which is like a green oasis in the dried up clay.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Well............I am a firm believer that nothing happens by pure chance. Hog numbers are increasing, wherever hogs can be found and it must be for some reason that is still unknown to us humans. It is my hope that the powers that govern hunting in your neck of the woods will initiate hunting seasons on them and allow citizens the ability to kill hogs and feed their families with the meat, instead of holding mass kills and destroying the carcasses.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
RovingArcher said:
Well............I am a firm believer that nothing happens by pure chance. Hog numbers are increasing, wherever hogs can be found and it must be for some reason that is still unknown to us humans. It is my hope that the powers that govern hunting in your neck of the woods will initiate hunting seasons on them and allow citizens the ability to kill hogs and feed their families with the meat, instead of holding mass kills and destroying the carcasses.

A great use for your bow. Must be the best weapon around for poaching. :D Silent and deadly.

If the government kill them anyway, I don't see any moral implications with that.

Torjus Gaaren

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
torjusg said:
A great use for your bow. Must be the best weapon around for poaching. :D Silent and deadly.

If the government kill them anyway, I don't see any moral implications with that.

Torjus Gaaren
Torjus,

Our government does, all bow hunting is banned in the UK - rifles only (and those effectively limited to .243 and above for deer)> Although I have to say, If I'm going to hunt a boar, a pointy stick would not be my weapon of choice! I have everything required for bow hunting except courage and skill!

Red

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
tomtom said:
one of the local hunts yesterday took their hounds out to see if they could spot any and round them up, but had no luck.. :D :cool:
I heard that in the papers today... I wouldn't like to be the hound that attacked some of those monsters though... some weigh 6,7, even 800lb!
Apparently yesterday one came home to the farm... personally I hope they stay wild forever, (they are *wild* boar!), they are an indigenous species and won't hurt anyone if they're left alone... which to me justifies it. Mind you they won't let the beaver back in Scotland and the same applies there :rolleyes:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
torjusg said:

Torjus Gaaren

I have successfully and legally taken several large and small game animals including Wild hogs with one bow or another. I am primarily a longbow and recurve hunter and do not own a centerfire rifle. In experienced hands, the bow is a deadly hunting tool. What concerns me is that some states in the US allow anyone to head into the woods with any weapon, experienced or not and that is a recipe for wounded and unrecovered game. I would prefer to see a bowhunting education class become mandatory for anyone wanting to hunt with a bow and to receive the license, the hunter must pass not only a written test, but a shooting, tracking and blood trailing tests as well. They don't pass, they don't hunt.

I once read that because of their ease of use, low noise and potential killing ability, the .22 rifle w/scope and the crossbow are the most used poaching tools in this country. Poachers generally won't take the needed time to practice with a real bow and it's unfortunate, but the majority of poachers in our country, are not citizens.

I can't and won't comment on your countries use of it's natural resources, but in my country, I hate to see mass killings of any species and then have the meat and other usable parts destroyed instead of used to feed the hungry. The old saying, "waste not, want not" sticks in my mind when such discussions come up.

F

Faeden

Hi rovingacher

Make no mistakes, wild hogs are dangerous and they are omnivores (they eat everything), so if you come across them in the wild, keep a wary eye on them and move on.

Id say that humans are more dangerous than wild boar, considering we managed to make them extinct in the wild.

Take care
Faeden

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Faeden said:
Hi rovingacher

Id say that humans are more dangerous than wild boar, considering we managed to make them extinct in the wild.

Take care
Faeden

I will, thank you and you do the same.

Since very few people in the UK are allowed to carry a weapon capable of killing a hog, being aware of one's surroundings and using caution while in the presense of an animal that is unpredictable and quite capable of inflicting serious injury is all I'm suggesting here. However, as your post suggests, ultimately it is up to the many individuals reading these posts to decide whether or not they care to heed my or anyone elses words that are written here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE