Blusher

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
I am quite confident that this rather slug eaten specimen is a young Blusher (Amanita rubescens).

blusher.jpg

According to the descriptions I've read they are very poisonous raw but edible when cooked (throw away the water they cooked in). I am curious as to whether anyone here has been brave/foolish enough to put this to the test. If so was it worth it?

BTW I'm not about to try with this one. :p

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That blusher looks like it has been used to plug a nose bleed. Slug nibbled fungi are fine, as long as the slugs are removed before cooking:D

I was really nervious of eating my first blusher, sliced it up, fried it, had a slice and was bowled over by how bloomin bland they were. Didn't bother eating the rest, mr xylaria thought they were bland and not worth it as well. Grisettes are the same, not worth picking. I think it must be the "thrill" of being brave enough to eat an amantia that makes them taste to others, because I can't taste anything in them. Maybe I over cook them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE