Bluebells?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Anybody got any sign of them yet?

In one of my local woods "Waresley" in Cambridgeshire, we've got wood anemone, primrose, cowslip and marsh marigold, but no sign at all of the bluebells which are usually starting to show by now.

Dave

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was up in my wood at the weekend and while the bluebell leaves are well out there is no sign of the stalk. Normally at this time of year a few flowers are just beginning to bloom and they are at their best last week of April, first week of May.

This year with the exceptionally cold start to spring they are going to be late. TBH I don't ever remember them this late so will be watching them closely over the next couple of weeks.

bearbait

Wood Anemones are out with Celandines, but no Bluebells yet (@ 1,000' in mid-Wales), although the leaves are coming on nicely. No Blackthorn flowers yet either.

Have been keeping an eye out for a while and finally saw my first lot of Frogspawn of the year on Saturday in the Black Mountains above Grwyne Fawr reservoir. Seems very late.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
This is developing into "Bluebell Watch". Rik has the first sighting of flowers so far, not surprising they are ahead in mild south wales compared with the mid wales uplands and my 600 foot high spot.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
There is a house in the village that has 9acres of bluebell woodland, the owner opens it up every year for a village fete, sale and walk around the woods to raise money for the church, in the last few years the bluebells have come later and later, the event is this coming weekend and there's nothing to see!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I saw my first swallows on sunday (20th), and for the first time ever I found the "sawdust" produced by a green woodpecker drilling out a new nest hole, but still no bluebells!

Dave

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm happy to say they are now showing in Waresley wood, not quite up to their full magnificence yet, but on the way. Looks like the badgers are having a good time munching the bluebell bulbs too!

Dave.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Oh yes, I know the Duncombe Arms, very nice food and good ale too.
I do have other woods that are just a bit closer, but Waresley is my favourite of my local woods.

Dave

Elen Sentier

Just opening nicely here in the Welsh Marches. Woods full of anemones, celendines, cowslips coming out nicely, primroses, fritillaries, dog violets, dandelions the size of coffee cups, kingcups in the pond, flags coming along. There are still some violets but the little narcissus are gone over and setting seed well.

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE