'Björnen'...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Looks good. I've only handled a few knives like that and I have to say that they are usually well made and very functional indeed ... and normally the price is also excellent too, making them a great deal!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Am I correct in believing Sandvik is high carbon? If so excellent - the belly on the blade just before the curve to the tip will allow good carving control although the steep curve up will not. But that doesnt matter cos that cirve is a butchering thing aimed at skinning game and meat.

Nice knife.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Karesuandos are wonderfull products.The fit and finish are excellent and the handle finish wonderfull to hold. I haven't seen this model on my US dealer's website. It looks like a classic Lueko. I love the handle shape. I use mine in snow where mittens make handling a matter of pulling with drawstrokes or pushing into materials with that wide flairing pommel. So, did you buy it?

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Gary said:
Am I correct in believing Sandvik is high carbon? If so excellent - the belly on the blade just before the curve to the tip will allow good carving control although the steep curve up will not. But that doesnt matter cos that cirve is a butchering thing aimed at skinning game and meat.

Nice knife.

Sandvik make many steels, but they are mostly known for their stainless in knives. 12c27 is stainless, good stuff, easy to sharpen and holds a good edge.
One thing that would worry me about that knife though is there is no blind orientation to the edge, the handle looks symmetrical.
Possibly a bit on the large side too.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I don't have this knife myself, but thinking of buying it somewhere. The only thing that's bothering me, is that the steel is stainless. But if it holds a good edge and is easy to sharpen, well...? :biggthump

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Gary said:

Nice knife.

If I remember rightly, Sandvik 12C27 is 0.6% carbon and 15.5% chromium.
To understand the carbon adn chromium content of Sandvik steels in this series, the first value (here 12) is 20 × the percentage of carbon, and the second value (here 27) is 2 × the percentage of chromium.

So presumably, if Sandvik were to make a 1% carbon 13.5% chromium steel, it would be called 20C27.

Keith.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Keith_Beef said:
If I remember rightly, Sandvik 12C27 is 0.6% carbon and 15.5% chromium.
To understand the carbon adn chromium content of Sandvik steels in this series, the first value (here 12) is 20 × the percentage of carbon, and the second value (here 27) is 2 × the percentage of chromium.

So presumably, if Sandvik were to make a 1% carbon 13.5% chromium steel, it would be called 20C27.

Keith.
Thanks for that Keith ... that clarifies things a lot! :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Searched a little and came up with this from Sandvik's website: (www.smt.sandvik.com)
"Sandvik 12C27 is a martensitic stainless chromium steel with an optimised analysis for high quality professional knives application. After heat treatment the composition of carbon and chromium gives a unique combination of properties including:
- Very high hardness
- Good corrosion resistance
- Very good wear resistance

This grade is also suitable for
- hunting and fishing knives
- pocket knives
- skate blades and ice drills"

:biggthump :wink:

Cheers

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Whats your worry with stainless? I'm half asleep here, but lets put all these numbers aside for a moment. Carbon steels make good knives. They can rust. Stainless is resistant to rusting ( not rustproof.) Some carbon steels are easily sharpened, some are not. Heat treatment and rockwell hardness will affect this. Repeat the last two sentences for stainless.A high carbon knife with high ( 58-60) rockwell can be used with a natural flint to produce ( relatively weak) sparks in a survival situation. A stainless steel knife cannot. Both knives with sufficient rockwell and a sharp spine will throw a lovely shower of sparks from a man made flint, aka metal match. You can give a production run of the finest, currently popular wonder steel to a mediocre outfit and they will produce some monstrosity for EBAY thats called The Ironmaiden with genuine paracord wrapped handle ( add 5 units of your national currency for this feature) and allegedly carried by the Vatican Guard special forces unit. You can give the leaf spring from a rusting Vauxhall in Abergavenny to a master bladesmith and receive back a blade your grandchildren will use. O.K. I just swallowed my first gulp of coffee ( chemicals! I need Chemicals!) I can't get my breakfast rolls opened with this thick plastic. What to use? S30V, 1065, Sandvik, VG10 laminate? :?: I know :eek:T: My Wetterling :wink: Metallurgy is a fascinating subject and worthy of consideration in our cutley. But in the end it's like the endless ballistic debates and handringing over here. The poor moose can't tell ( or much care) if that sharp pain is .357 or .366 caliber. Niether will paracord or feather sticks from a properly maintained knife. I wonder if these discussions have changed much since the first copper knives entered the flint markets :wave:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
ChrisKavanaugh said:
I wonder if these discussions have changed much since the first copper knives entered the flint markets :wave:

nope :roll:
but there again I thought Bjornen was the bloke with a beard in ABBA

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I know that I am bumping a long dead thread on here, and I also have to apologize for not being a regular contributing member to the forum. I have to admit that I don't visit often as a member but regularily as a guest; the reason being [and I am not sure if it a common problem or even one that I can fix here] but I find it frustrating that when I am logged in that it always goes to the newest post and not the oldest at the top so I have to scroll down and then work my way up every time to follow the conversation.

I am a regular member over on Bushcraft Oz (the Australian Bushcraft forum) and just was hired at Canadian Bushcraft by Caleb Musgrove as one of his Wilderness survival instructors. (Bit of bragging - not really Canadian of me but I am still getting over the joy of the offer)

Why I bumped this thread - I just purchased one of the Karasuando Bear knives [3514 model] and after only 24 hours of ownership I can say that I am outstanding impressed by this knife. Great to hold in the hand and with just a bit of work on the Hard Lansky stone it took an increadible edge. Back to the discussion of nine years ago, mine is carbon steel - not sure if it was previously stainless offered in this model but definately currently carbon. Have done some basic carving on some Canadian maple and some oak and it makes extremely fine work and the handle is an absolute joy in the hand.

The are VERY few reviews that I have found so I was looking for others with experience with this blade/manufacturer to compare notes. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks to Dougster and Wayland. I feel pretty foolish that I didn't ask how to do that earlier...hoping you all will see me on here much more often.

Touched up the edge a little bit more and it takes an VERY sharp edge and carves the finest little shavings possible. Have yet to try it on fatwood but if it does that as well as the green apple wood I tried it out on I am pretty sure that the ferro rod will have a blaze going in no time! Even better edge than I could put on one of the Helles.

My son picked up at the same time one of the Karasuendo "Fox" models. A little smaller but a extremely comfortable handle.

I am fairly certain that these will not be the last two in the line that will find a home in my Bushcraft Room!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE