bivy bag hood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i've got a brittish army bivy bag, it's fine apart from the hood isn't really a hood. There is a drawstring to bring the top closer to me but the part which is shaped like a hood has no depth so doesn't fit around my sleeping bag hood. It's more like a flap of the material. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and any ways to make it a bit more of a hood?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
If I remember right it isnt really a hood more of a closure system. Just pull the drawstring tight so there is a hole above your face, it stops you breathing into the bag so it doesnt have too much moisture inside, just experiment till you find the best way to suit yourself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you follow the line of the drawcord channel around the edge but 10 or 15 cms in, and stitch on a tape to make a second channel you can thread a cord through that too, and the two cords will create a better shape for surrounding your sleeping bag hood.
I suggest you try it in really cheap fabric first until you are sure you have the spacing right.

Cheers,
Toddy

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I think you've got to be careful when sewing gore-tex,because you'll pierce the fabric. You need to tape the seams from the inside with decent tape that won't peel off. Otherwise it will leak and maybe even start to rip.

Ideally, you need to use it with a basha so that you can have your head fairly uncovered. But if you want to use it out in the open by itself, then I find that keeping the hood slack allows you to pull the flap over your head and keep the rain/wind off.

Otherwise, just pull the drawcord until the hood pulls in snug around your gonk bag.

Julian.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
jack29g said:
i'm sorry but i don't understand. If you are going to the summer moot you can show me there.
Think creating 3D from a flat sheet of fabric, and then keeping the shape 'up' :)

I've seen the British army goretex bivvi bags and those were all 3 layer goretex with a fine knitted lining surface inside. It sews well and I've never found it tearing. I do usually tape seams but reckoned for this hood it'd be okay, especially if you re-proof the bag at some point with the goretex wash-in stuff.
......This is where I'll get yelled at for daring to suggest that goretex bivvi bags might 'ever' need washing :rolleyes: Guys, they hum; give them a wash, stale eau de damp and sweaty isn't pleasant. ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Washing it is fine, as long as you do it right.
I could be tempted to SHOUT about considering stitching it though. :)

As a general rule of thumb DON'T.

BTW, I have found, to my cost, that the lining in my old green bivvy causes severe skin irritation if you doss in the bivvy in the nude...(it was wram okay?).
Might just be me, but it was really nasty.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Rather than stitch the bag would it work if you made two openings for the drawcord that is already there?
You could then pull the drawcord through and fix the closure thingumys on to both sides, so you could draw the top tightlike a hood and the bottom will still work as normal.
If I get Toddy right that would give the same effect without sticking needles through the fabric.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Andy said:
If you short you can have the bag upside down. It seems to give enough ventalation if you don't pull it tight and keeps the rain off

I find using the bag upside down works fairly well and I am 6'.

If I were modifying the British army bag I would think about adding a zip to make it easier it get in and out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE