Bivvy Bag Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
Hi All,

I have an Alpkit Hunka which I've had good use from but I've found it's nowhere near big enough to get my winter bag in, well, not with me in as well.

I'm going to pass the Hunka on to my son and get a new one; I was thinking about the Hunka XL but wondered if anyone had any ideas for another bivvy bag for the same price or less (£50).

Thanks,

Tom

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hunka XLs are good, light and reasonably breathable. Other options for the price (which migh offer you more room) will be the various army issue ones...but they be heavier.
British army issue
Dutch army issue (centre opening, kip mat holders)
Jack Pyke English Oak Bivi
Snugpak bivi
Rab Storm Bivi

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i am going for the snugpack special forces bivi as its got enough room at the shoulders for me..as i am a big lad..atb Alza

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

I'm 6'6" and 15 stone. I use a Dutch Army bivvy bag from Endicotts with a Nanok -25 Endurance sleeping bag.

There's plenty of room in that for me.

Barry

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the UK issue bag, they're huge and strong enough to take a hammering.

The Snugpak Stratosphere is a cool bag but no room for any gear inside, it's simple enough to pitch a small tarp or put a pack cover on though.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I was In the shop last week, about to buy an issue job and spied a Jack Pike bivi bag.
It has the same dims as the issue bag, but the material is Breathetex.
It looks just as thick, but the material feels a bit quieter and the dp is better.
Its slightly lighter too.
Has anyone used one?

Edit: found this on here about the jack Pyke bag

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47346&highlight=jack+pyke+bivi

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was In the shop last week, about to buy an issue job and spied a Jack Pike bivi bag.
It has the same dims as the issue bag, but the material is Breathetex.
It looks just as thick, but the material feels a bit quieter and the dp is better.
Its slightly lighter too.
Has anyone used one?

Edit: found this on here about the jack Pyke bag

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47346&highlight=jack+pyke+bivi

I'm told all the brit army bags are made of Breathtex these days as is a lot of Canadian kit.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I have a british army one which is Goretex rather than breathatex but i dont know how old it is, (got it new so it might have been being sold off cheap because they changed the design) absolutly Huge inside, plenty of space for me, my sleeping bag, my thermarest! (and its a green square one) plus most if not all of my kit, i couldl probabbly fit a bergen in there fully loaded with side pouches and still have room to spare

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE