Bivvi bag in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've never slept in a hammock, apart from napping in the garden variety netted hammock. But this thread sort of piqued my interest.
Wouldn't it be possible to mod a sleeping bag and a bivy bag with a hole top and bottom, to pass the hammock through?
I'm thinking, insulation and evaporation, not a problem since uncompressed sleeping bag/bivvy bag is all around. Also turning around during sleep is less complicated, as no sleeping bag is between body and hammock. Would sleeping on a bare hammock be uncomfortable, given that insulation is enough?

Google "hammock coccoon".........great idea dude, but i'm afriad its been done already

Jackdaw

Surely the solution here is to use tarp skins and then only deploy the tarp if it starts to rain. You get the security of only needing to peg out a couple of guy lines should it rain and your view is hardly interrupted at all.

The way I see it is I look at the stars when I'm awake. When I am in my hammock I'm generally asleep with my eyes closed so can't see the stars anyway and therefore almost always pitch a tarp even if it's to only stop getting bird crap in my face whilst I sleep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE