Bivanorak From Hilleberg?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi all!
Has anyone ever tried or run across a Bivanorak from Hilleberg in Sweden? Supposed to be issued to Swedish air force as survival gear and work as an anorak/sleeping bag etc...made out of nylon. The design looks like a good idea but I do not know about the material. Any comments?
Monk

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi I was temped to buy it but was impossible to find some feedback so I decided to cool my wish of purchasing.
My only doub is about breathability of material ????? :?:

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
I think it's made from the same stuff they make their tents from, which isn't breathable, and its also very thin and flaps about in the wind alot and makes hell of a racket. Its fine on a tent because its pitched taut, but i'm not sure i'd like to have a coat made from it.

hope this helps, cheers gb

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
Just been looking at the website and it states that it is breathable so it must have a different waterproof coating to that of the tent materials.
I guess it would be alright as an emergency shelter or waterproof, but if its a similar weight to the material on my tent (which i would think it is or maybe even thinner), i definately could'nt put up with the flapping noise on windy days.

cheers gb

Mallow Man

Jul 10, 2004
Devon
For emergencies and certainly not for comfort. Anyway - does it not also remove some of the joy about setting up camp? It is almost convenience camping. Stop walking, step to the side of the path, fall over and go to sleep.

Mal

p.s. It also looks incrediby stupid on.....

Kvitulf

Jan 7, 2005
Northern Norway
PC2K said:
looks pretty much the same as a Fjellduken. Just type Fjellduken in a google search and you will find plenty of information.

I disagree totally.

Fjellduken Original(got it, cuz of price/weight(ALWAYS with me in the mountains/solo/tent parts/safety/tarping/using candles inside it and the Sintef test report regarding it as a safety shelter during EXTREME conditions. Condensation is a bit of a problem, but I`ll survive if the **** hits the fan :super:

Its simply a very strong, durable waterproof survival blanket with the best mountain/stone around. Some kind of microfiber outside, and aluminium inside.
You can ambush/stalk/photograph/hunt like a....Stone.
I`ve scared a crow silly, who was looking for scraps around my tent in it :eek:):

The quality of the zips, material, stitching is almost bombproof, but it isnt kevlar/nomex/spidersilk.
10 years warranty on this kit, which will help you be safe/camo`ed/comfortable and its uses is only limited by your imagination....

Can upload some pics, were i`ve tried using it as a dome tent with tentpoles if someone helps me :wave: ...
And it worked v.vell imho, needs reinforcing/hoops...

Bivyanorak looks more like a bivvy cover that can be worn as a poncho.

Atleast 2 uses for each item carried in the bush is a goal of mine. As were the ninja`s kit :nana:

Regarding the price...Messing around bushcrafting in the Arctic is no joke..I`m only hiking/walking atm. cuz its bloody hard enough :rolmao:
If you`ve got contacts in the military ask around..
They`ve started exporting this to foreign nato forces/mountain rescue squads i belive.
If you know a Norwegian in active duty(/officer?) you get it for ca.-40% I`ve heard.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks everyone!

I found on the web a similar concept called ECOTAT by a Richard Haislip in Virginia Beach..the design and purpose appear to be similar. Food for thought on how to get an item to do more than one thing!
Monk

Rod

On a new journey
Hi,

This can be bought off Field & Trek's website http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product.asp?pf_id=45167

I have seen one up close and it is a good piece of kit if you want a packable poncho that you can sleep in should you need to. The material is breathable and Hilleberg sell lots to our own Royal Marines as well as US Navy Seals. I found all this out from the sales director from Hilleberg.

hope this helps

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
I own a Bivanorak since nearly 2 years, and I highly recommend this piece!
Especially for one like me, who is fed up with Gore-Tex..., the multipurpose use is perfect.

Condensation: Yes. If you wake up in the morning you find one or two small wet areas on the bottom end of your sleeping bag. I personnaly do not care, because I prefer sleeping bags like Ajungilak Tyin (old one), and this bag gets even a little warmer when wet. Water condensation is not high, but I wouldn´t use it with a down sleeping bag in winter.

Weather: It is made for rain and wind, and it is a very comfortable protection! Sleep and forget about the rest for ca. 500 g.

Area of use: Good piece for an emergency kit. Perfect for dangerous areas, tactical situations; And it is wonderful for normal backpacking: since I have this, I nearly don´t need my (hilleberg-)tent any more! It is so nice to be in your sleeping bag + have your arms free for cooking (during rain!). Have you ever been on a watchtower in a windy night? Try the Bivanorak! I wouldn´t use it on extended winter tours, I think you need a tent for drying clothes + recovering during snowstorm. But if the conditions are not life-threatening it is fun to go out with it in Winter!

Idea: Instead of carrying tent + Gore-Tex clothing + medium weight sleeping bag, take a Bivanorak + heavy weight sleeping bag (that make additional 2-3 kg of food!)

Quality: Hilleberg - first class. The coating smells a little , but ok. Green colour really beautiful. Abrasion resistance very good. I feel very much at home with this piece.

Best wishes for 2005 for all of you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE