birch polyphore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Where me and my dog will be walking today there are plenty of birch.

As well as picking up tinder etc for future use, I'll have a look for these.

Will they be around at this time of year? I've never used polypore before but have just briefly googled it.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Picked two very large beauties over the weekend. So yep, still around :)

I never noticed any, though I'd changed my route so missed the usual crop of Birch, on the few trees I passed.

Will have a good look today on the route I'd planned to walk.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Went for a bimble under the Forth Road bridge, where I know there are a few young and older birch trees.

Found three fine specimens of birch polypore about the size of a 3 egg Omelette.

Having got home I checked my Collins Complete British Wildlife Guide to confirm - ding dong!!!

Now I know for definate that's what they are, I'll harvest them tomorrow.

Do they need any special prep'?, I intend to add them to my fire kit for one thing.

I'll gather more red papery birch bark curlings as well.

Thanks in advance.

Liam

EDIT; I used the search function and have found the answer on other birch polpore threads.

Last edited:

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi i didnt no what birch polypore was i have just googled it i have seen this growing on tree's sure its the same stuff seen it last week & there ws a lot of it growing..how is this used?? thanx shogun

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
hi i didnt no what birch polypore was i have just googled it i have seen this growing on tree's sure its the same stuff seen it last week & there ws a lot of it growing..how is this used?? thanx shogun

I'd never heard of it either until I saw it on this BCUK site.

I passed about 3 "omelettes" of it on an old decayed birch tree today and danced about like a daftie!!

Use the search function at the top of the page, there are a few good articles on here, they helped me.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
uuuugh!:yuck:

as for preparing for fire use, dry it like crazy! it holds a lot of water, I just put mine in a cotton bag in the airing cupboard.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry

as for preparing for fire use, dry it like crazy! it holds a lot of water, I just put mine in a cotton bag in the airing cupboard.

Thanks for the tip. :)

I'm keen to dry out these fungus tinders as an alternative, other string to my bow etc.

Gone are the days when a pair of pliers twisted a 7.62 round from the cartridge for the wee green squares (cordite) to get the fire going.

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
I harvested some of this from dead standing birch and dried it out. I was under the impression it was used for stropping blades, apparently the guy that they found preserved in the ice for years had some with him.

What is it used for in the way of fire?

If you do strop blades on it, which bit? The soft white bit or the underneath bit?

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry

The "almost fallen over" Birch that I found (I daren't sneeze near it) had quite a few on it, some empty shells, but a few that are still of a foamy omelette consistency.

They're drying on a window sill near a radiator, and will post them to a couple of folk on this site whom I know.

So long as the tree still stands, I should be able to, in time, harvest the smaller lumps that are showing.

No funny smell, as mentioned before, that I can notice.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I cut one in half, dried it out on my window sill. My mum thought i had wacky baccy in the room.

Hahahaa!!

I grew up with my Grandparents, the only heating in the house was in the living room from the coal fire.

At parties or celebrations of Hogmanay etc, the furniture was pushed aside, and the square of carpet was rolled up and packed away. It was the heat from the bodies in the livingroom, reflected by the Linoleum that kept you warm.

Bed socks, hot water bottles and layers of patchwork quilts kept you from freezing at night.

Fungi on the window sill was an every day thing, but it still had to be dusted or polished...

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
During a bimble with the dog today I found quite a number of many zoned polypore (Coriolus Versicolor) on a dead fallen tree.

Having Googled it, I've discovered it's medicinal use in the Far East. That's beyond my ability.

Does anyone know if this can be used in fire lighting kits like Birch polypore (Piptoporus Betulinus)?

p.s. My 1997 version of the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide uses the old name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE