Biltong (South African Beef Jerky)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I've seen lots of info about beef jerky, but I think if you have never tried biltong you havent lived!

WHAT YOU NEED:

1 kg meat-many different meats can be used
vinegar
slightly less than a table spoon of course salt
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of coriander (whole)
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Also for mold problems: bicarbonate of soda helps prevent mold if you have a problem

INSTRUCTIONS

Wash the meat. (i.e. get rid of blood and dye). Cut the meat at an angle against the grain into about one inch strips. Sprinkle lots of vinegar over the meat. Place the coriander in a bag and lightly crush the whole coriander. Make the "biltong mix" by combining the course salt, brown sugar, coriander, black pepper. Dip the meat into the "biltong mix" until all the mix is used up. Place the meat in a wire tray over night, in the fridge so that excess blood can drip out (you obviously need a tray to catch the blood in). Dip the biltong quickly into a water/vinegar mixture to remove surface salt. Hang the biltong to dry (4-5 days), it is ready to eat once it is hard and a dark reddish brown colour. NB in the UK, it is too humid to dry, what I do is use a wooden box with a conventional electric light fitted to the inside, and an old PC fan to remove excess humidity from the box, also note that you have to use common sense, wood is flammable and electric light bulbs get hot, and electricity and water do not mix (or blood or vinager etc), I will not accept responsibility for anyones incompetence either for eating spoiled beef, for burning their houses down, or for anthing else for that matter!

You can also buy it in the UK, but its quality varies substantially. Happy eating all.

Greg

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Biltong is good stuff. A colleague brought back some ostrich biltong from South Africa once and I was almost the only one in the office that liked it.

I have also tried some (I think it was made from beef) which was like wood; in fact you could have used a pencil sharpener to cut shavings off it!

BTW nice seeing you here Greg!

Best wishes

Bruce

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Having now tried both i now believe that biltong is my firm favourite :eek:): It's the first thing i buy whenever i touchdown in Cape Town!

Rollnick said:
Having now tried both i now believe that biltong is my firm favourite :eek:): It's the first thing i buy whenever i touchdown in Cape Town!

Sigh,

Yes, now wasn't there a shop that sold biltong and Droëwors in Long street?

I also enjoyed elephant biltong bought from the visitors' shop at Addo National park.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I regularly make it using a low oven to dry the meat. Handy food for fishing - goes well with a bottle of beer down by the river side. You can repair your boots with it too...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Get mine from Fortnum&Masons whenever I am in London.

They do both beef and game biltong.I always go for the game.

It is horribly expensive in the UK :(

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
When the next Ashdown/BCUK/Dartmoor meet come along either myself or my dad might have been to South Africa. I'll make sure i'll bring an empty suitcase and fill it full of the Woolworths (M&S equivalent) stuff, free for all! :D

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Rollnick said:
When the next Ashdown/BCUK/Dartmoor meet come along either myself or my dad might have been to South Africa. I'll make sure i'll bring an empty suitcase and fill it full of the Woolworths (M&S equivalent) stuff, free for all! :D

Watch out for customs, importing food stuffs is a no no following the foot and mouth.

We get more like the Americans every day :rolleyes:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ah! Didn't think of that...Mind you, we've never been stopped before, and im often munching on a stick as we walk through the airport. We'll have to see...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE