Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah you should've made hay while the sun shone as I was unable to post for a day or so there. You killed Bun, Bun!!!

I still have the home video of when I met him, here it is...

[video=youtube;ej-ZBDBrR3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-ZBDBrR3o[/video]

I just hope he was tasty Uncle Kelly.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Today in 1970.

With the world anxiously watching, Apollo 13, a U.S. lunar spacecraft that suffered a severe malfunction on its journey to the moon, safely returns to Earth.

On April 11, the third manned lunar landing mission was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, carrying astronauts James A. Lovell, John L. Swigert, and Fred W. Haise. The mission was headed for a landing on the Fra Mauro highlands of the moon. However, two days into the mission, disaster struck 200,000 miles from Earth when oxygen tank No. 2 blew up in the spacecraft. Swigert reported to mission control on Earth, “Houston, we’ve had a problem here,” and it was discovered that the normal supply of oxygen, electricity, light, and water had been disrupted. The landing mission was aborted, and the astronauts and controllers on Earth scrambled to come up with emergency procedures. The crippled spacecraft continued to the moon, circled it, and began a long, cold journey back to Earth.

The astronauts and mission control were faced with enormous logistical problems in stabilizing the spacecraft and its air supply, as well as providing enough energy to the damaged fuel cells to allow successful reentry into Earth’s atmosphere. Navigation was another problem, and Apollo 13‘s course was repeatedly corrected with dramatic and untested maneuvers. On April 17, tragedy turned to triumph as the Apollo 13 astronauts touched down safely in the Pacific Ocean.

original.jpg apollo13-recovery.jpg 360_apollo_13_0416.jpg I remember as a 13 year old, being fascinated by the coverage of the whole affair, and used it as a school project.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Actually only 203 for me

Posts 1,044 Goatboy
Posts 785 crosslandkelly
Posts 306 Huon
Posts 203 petrochemicals
Posts 192 Biker
Posts 169 belzeebob23
Posts 156 TurboGirl
Posts 65 Mesquite
Posts 21 John Fenna
Posts 15 Harvestman

OK - so I need to try harder!
Until I got my new confuser and switched to Chrome this thread took days to open for me - but now... quick and easy...so I may be posting more!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As I recall, one of the things they used to build their improv air scrubber was the derided "Fisher Space Pen" = you know the one " NASA spent X years and X million dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity - the Russians took pencils".
Try repairing an air scrubber with a pencil (and where did all the pencil sharpenings go?)!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As I recall, one of the things they used to build their improv air scrubber was the derided "Fisher Space Pen" = you know the one " NASA spent X years and X million dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity - the Russians took pencils".
Try repairing an air scrubber with a pencil (and where did all the pencil sharpenings go?)!
It's true that the Russians didn't take pencils as with graphite being conductive they couldn't afford for broken off tips or stray shavings getting into the machinery.
Normal biros do work in space though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's true that the Russians didn't take pencils as with graphite being conductive they couldn't afford for broken off tips or stray shavings getting into the machinery.
Normal biros do work in space though.

Half the biros on earth cannot work in full gravity!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good stuff on the Apollo mission Uncle Kelly.

Not quite an on this day but I know it was about this time of this month (must dig the books out) that Actress and Hedy Lamarr co-invented an unjam-able radio guidance system for torpedoes.

Much lampooned in Blazing Saddles (for which she threatened to sue) she was quite a girl.

640px-Hedy_Lamarr-publicity.JPG

Hedy Lamarr (born Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler, 9 November 1914 – 19 January 2000) was an Austrian and American inventor and film actress. After an early and brief film career in Germany, which included a controversial love-making scene in the film Ecstasy (1933), she fled her husband and secretly moved to Paris. While there, she met MGM head Louis B. Mayer, who offered her a movie contract in Hollywood where she became a film star from the late 1930s to the 1950s. Mayer and the studio cast her in glamorous parts alongside popular leading men, and promoted her as the "world's most beautiful woman."

During her film career, Lamarr co-invented the technology for spread spectrum and frequency hopping communications with composer George Antheil. This new technology became important to America's military during World War II because it was used in controlling torpedoes. Those inventions have more recently been incorporated into Wi-Fi, CDMA and Bluetooth technology, and led to her being inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.

Lamarr appeared in numerous popular feature films, including Algiers (1938) with Charles Boyer, I Take This Woman (1940) with Spencer Tracy, Comrade X (1940) with Clark Gable, Come Live With Me (1941) with James Stewart, H.M. Pulham, Esq. (1941) with Robert Young, and Samson and Delilah (1949) with Victor Mature.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Actually only 203 for me

Posts 1,044 Goatboy
Posts 785 crosslandkelly
Posts 306 Huon
Posts 203 petrochemicals
Posts 192 Biker
Posts 169 belzeebob23
Posts 156 TurboGirl
Posts 65 Mesquite
Posts 21 John Fenna
Posts 15 Harvestman
I'm not sure is Sam's got it right... I look at the amount of posts I've done here and wonder who has more time, me for doing them or you for counting them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE