Big Folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
What do you think about them, guys. Do you use them. Do you think they are useful some way, or not at all.
I like them but at the same time I can’t use a big folder like these in the pics below as an EDC, and when I’m outdoor I like most a 4”-6" fixed blade. But I’m attracted by them anyway. Your thoughs?
Ciao,
Alfredo
From R to L:
Pohl Force Alpha Two D2, Zero Tolerance 0302 Coyote Brown, Extrema Ratio RAO, and CRK Umnumzaan (for comparison)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hi Alfredo,

I don't like big folders. They feel awkward to me. I like a big fixed blade if (and in that case because) I can chop with it, but for preference I'll usually use as small a blade as will comfortably do the job. The biggest folder I have is the EKA Super Swede and even that feels a bit too big sometimes.

The scales on your examples all look too flat to me. I like something I can grasp tightly if necessary, but always as comfortably as possible.

HTH.

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
when you say big folder.....

wenger_giant_knife.png

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a C.Jul.Herbertz that used to every where with me, but I've gradually moved down in size? I think it's mostly as I have become more used to using a fixed blade for more an more, so moved towards a legal penknife (FRN ukpk) which lives in my pocket and take a small fixed blade when out with the intention of carving stuff.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don't use big folders as I find them a pain, much preferring a smaller and lighter knife like the Tenacious or UKPK. They certainly have an attraction though, and I've bought a fair few in the past.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I used to collect folders just like yours but they never left the house due to our EDC laws :( I wont get into the rights and wrongs of the Law but it still stands that you need a good excuse to carry one and i simply dont unless i am out bushcrafting.

Recently i was too lazy to put and edge back on my main fixed blade (used as a wood scraper when i lost my cab scraper) so i decided to take my Lakes Pal folder instead. Whilst i enjoyed its compactness and the fact its more discrete than a fixed blade i just couldnt get on with it. For starters even though it was a one hand opener its still a case of unclip pouch, open blade, close blade, back in pouch close pouch, now i know it doesnt sound like much but when your using it a lot it gets dull. Most folders are also not very comfortable to use for extended periods - think whittling etc so they loose out again.

So i will stick to my fixed for bushy stuff and my ukpk for EDC.

They do look nice though ;)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I wanted a big folder (for me anyway!) and not wanting to throw a load of money at one I got a Spyderco Resilience. Not given it much at yet but there's much knife there for your £!

Not sure how much use it will get but I was really thinking for a large (occasional) slicer & food prep knife when on trips.

That said, if work picks up this year significantly I REALLY want a H.E.S.T. folder as a workhorse folder!

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
The biggest folder that I have is the CRKT M21-04g that's really huge, at least for my hands.
I like a lot the blade shape and the opening is really smooth, with the auto-lawks lock and the stainless frame it's really solid, I think even for heavy duty tasks, but it's really too big to be carried around, with that tactical look, at last until the zombies apocalypse :lmao: but it was a bargain and I couldn't resist..

You can see it below in some pics, compared to a Spyderco Endura4 serrated in ZDP189 (another one quite large), a DPX Gear HEST folder, a Fallkniven U2 and a Fallkniven F1.

The HEST is my first choice all-purpose folder, a nice shaped fat blade, not too big but very solid, well balanced, I like it a lot, even if it needs some tuning to be perfect (it's a little bit too hard to open). In my opinion it's the best choice if you cannot carry a fixed blade, even for hard tasks.

imgp3274f.jpg

imgp3275k.jpg

imgp3278h.jpg

Cheers Paolo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE