BIC lighter sparks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Could you start a fire with the sparks a bic lighter which had run out of fuel?
Without using tinder like petrol meths etc?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
The sparks from a Bic with no gas will light charcloth fairly easily and therefore probably (less easily) some of the tinder fungi, I doubt that youd manage to light birch bark or similar directly though, the sparks from a Bic are very small.

leon-1

I was playing with this in the early nineties, don't try to create a light from one single strike. Your better bet is to slowly grind filings of the flint from the lighter so they fall in your tinder (time consuming) and then give it a decent grind to ignite the filings from the flint.

Whichever tinder you use make sure it is reasonably fine, lite, dry and you will be able to get it to go, I have managed to get 000 grade wirewool to light from it in Cyprus, but it will take a lot of work to get there.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The "flint" is almost certainly a bit of ferrocerium. This stuff easily ignites from friction. The size of the spark relates to its power to light various tinders. The size of the spark also relates to the size of the chunk that you scrape off it. If you can get the flint out and scrape if forcibly with a knife you might be able to get a juicier spark that could ignite birch bark etc..

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Good idea Leon, I'd forgotten you can build up a little pile of dust and set it off like a sparkler :D

It is some kind of ferocium Rich but theyre usually too small to handle outside of the little spark generator that comes with the lighter (which is conveniently removable as a stand alone sparker or a tip tamper if you roll your own), I have a new one here and its 4mm x 2.5mm, wouldnt fancy trying to hold it and scrape it with a knife at the same time ;)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I used to keep the lighter wheel and flint from a swan type refillable lighter in a resealable bag, along with a good wad of cotton wool. Seemed to work okay.

Also read of people setting the flints into perspex after heating the perspex up, and you could get a decent wad of sparks from enough of them... Not tried it myself..

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Does anyone use welding lighters? They chuck off a pile of sparks and the replacement heads are cheap. :)

FL35_lg.jpg

FL36_lg.jpg

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
With care, as allready discussed you can. What I truly do not understand is how anyone could fall into such desperate circumstances :confused: . It's ironic, but I've collected more anecdotal stories about people who used a $1 BIC in an emergency than all other systems combined. It hardly seems fair: I learned all these show off firemaking strategems and my #1 method is this translucent pink bit of indulgent castoff society :eek: I just carry extras :D

D

DOC-CANADA

anthonyyy said:
Could you start a fire with the sparks a bic lighter which had run out of fuel?
Without using tinder like petrol meths etc?
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this or not (still trying to figure out how to navigate in this new format), but the pappus (?) or fuzz from a mature Thistle (Cirsium spp.) or Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) will ignite quite easily from the spark from a fuel challenged (how's that for political correctness? :p ) Bic lighter. Also to make it easier, remove the chrome guard, but don't throw it away. It makes a good attractant when spearing fish.

:) Doc :)

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
In prison when your lighter has ran out of gas you can grind the flint, as mentioned before, into a rizzla or thin sheet of tissue then egnight it with a spark. Many a inmate has been saved from overnight nicotine withdrawal by this, It works remarkably well

Ps, i was told about this :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE