best shot ever with a catty!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
I don't know if this thread is in the right place but I just wanted to blow my own trumpet and see or hear about other peoples wondershots

out on a mooch about a few days ago dog by my side pickle fork catty in my hand at the place I usually take the dogs lead off I took my catty and loaded a marble
just randomly looking for a target I couldn't find anything at ground level so I surveyed the trees. all I could see was one top branch acres of ploughed fields behind it. the chances of me hitting that top mast were so slim its unbelievable but I took the shot first marble and here is the result!!
I couldn't believe my luck so I marked the spot and after id taken the dog for his walk and home I returned to the spot with a surveyers tape measure the distance from the spot to the tress was 43 yards I was well pleased
the photo id done on my phone is here.

id love to hear your lucky flukey or best shot stories!!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
At the moot this year one of Dr Jones's big plastic pegs went flying as he pulled on it with a bungee cord. After searching we gave it up as lost in the balsam.

Anyway a week later I happened to look up and 20ft up in the tree was the said peg :) Next day I said to Biker let's get some target practice in and shoot it out of the tree.

So I loaded up with our ammo of the moot, mint imperials, and took my first shot PING!!! it comes flying out of the tree with a nice little dent in the side from where the mint hit it :D

Aaron was gutted because he hadn't even had a chance to pick his cattie up before I scored :cool:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Pretty good.

:)

[video=youtube;9ieWrWLjii0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0[/video]

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
Great shot, a really good way to practice shooting the birds out of the trees :)
The best shot I ever did was on the first day i got a slingshot. It was a gamekeeper pocket rocket 2 with 9.5mm steel and there was a sign post at the bottom of a field at least 100 meters away. I just raised the catapult to the air and let it go a slit second later watching this little dark spot arching across the sky and thud. never done it since. You see people like gamekeeper john on youtube splitting cards and shooting through the holes of cds really consistently. mad skill.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
anyone else got a flukey best shot story could be with anything don't have to be a catty?

Not me but.....
My father used to shoot in the RNZAF fullbore team. He'd been off the team for a few years but had dropped in to watch them shoot one day. While watching he joked that any real marksman should be able to put 3 bullets into the same hole. One of the team handed dad his rifle and told him to prove it. Strange rifle, years without shooting fullbore (he was still the captain of the local small bore ckub) and no chance anyway but he proceeded to make the luckiest 3 shots of his life and managed to make good on his joke.

Complete luck but some surprised looks.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was given a challenge by my nephew. Windy day in the woods and he hung a crushed can from a tree branch at about 40 yards. The thing was swaying in the wind.
I drew, loosed and the arrow passed clean through it. Couldn't believe it my self even though I seemed to be on form that day.

That was the last shot I took that day.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I had a fluke one day when I was in my garage, just messing about with the darts, my two lads came in for a game, and as I said "who fancies a game?" They waited by the door as I throw my practice three darts at the bull, boom boom boom, all three went in the BULL!!! Wow, never ever done that before, and probably never will again, they both turned around and said "Na don't fancy a game" and walked off , haha, I was only glad they seen it as no one would ever believe me,

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
At the moot this year one of Dr Jones's big plastic pegs went flying as he pulled on it with a bungee cord. After searching we gave it up as lost in the balsam.

Anyway a week later I happened to look up and 20ft up in the tree was the said peg :) Next day I said to Biker let's get some target practice in and shoot it out of the tree.

So I loaded up with our ammo of the moot, mint imperials, and took my first shot PING!!! it comes flying out of the tree with a nice little dent in the side from where the mint hit it :D

Aaron was gutted because he hadn't even had a chance to pick his cattie up before I scored :cool:

That was a great shot indeed Steve! I've never had so much fun playing with a catapult before, I'm hooked now!

Good shooting Greatbear. I did a similar thing last October with an .22 Air rifle. Pointed it at a weed stalk 30 feet away from a standing position, pulled the trigger and assumed I'd missed, imagine my surprise when the weed stalk folded over as if in slow motion. I even took a photo of it. Shame no one saw it happen though. I put the rifle away after that.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I shot (but to my shame didnt kill) a pigeon in mid flight. This was about 35 years ago one summer. Me and my mate made our own weapons from fork branches and propeller rubber from the toy shop. We must have practised for hours just using pebbles from the river, again and again until we were shooting intuitively, knocking cans one after another. The mill and its chimney had been demolished and there were hundreds of pigeons all over the place. I knew I hit the bird you could hear a sickening thud. But the pebbles didnt have enough stopping power.

The other fluke shot was when I used my mates air rifle and aimed at a tennis ball. I hit it, he said no you didnt, we had a right argument. Any way we recovered the ball-and it rattled. We cut it open and there was the pellet inside the ball

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE