Best knife for whittling?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I have been asked by a friends wife to recommend her a knife that is good for whittling,her husband is going on a course and she wants to get him a knife,any thoughts on a decent starter knife that will not break the bank.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Depends on what sort of material you're going to be whittling

Twigs etc a SAK is fine... thicker stuff and you might want a fixed bladed knife.

What course is your friends husband going on as quite often the organiser will recomend what's suitable to take with you

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I did an extensive blog post explaining what is needed in a good knife for woodcarving and whittling here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-is-best-knife-for-woodcarving-and.html
My favoured knife is the frosts mora 106 though the 120 is a good knife too, both costs less than £15. I would ask whoever is running the course though, I provide knives for folk on my courses and if people are using different knives it may affect the techniques being taught. For instance I teach a lot of long slicing cuts which are only possible with the longer blade of the 106.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have been asked by a friends wife to recommend her a knife that is good for whittling,her husband is going on a course and she wants to get him a knife,any thoughts on a decent starter knife that will not break the bank.

Do you know specifically what her husband will be carving? For spoons and such and carving hard wood, a mora style carver would work well. For smaller, more detailed carving, a small carving knife with a thin blade 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" would be better. Just depends on what you want to carve. There is a huge difference.

If you are looking for a small carving knife, Two Cherries makes a decent one for a reasonable price. It's the bottom knife in the photo below.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The mora's are good knives but my best one is a Bernie Garland woodcrafter which was handled by addo is a great knife and can handle any wood I have thrown at it so far. So if he takes it up long term you. Cann't get better.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
That is a very good price, only a few pence more than the UK wholesale price. Great prices on push knives and lots of good looking small diamond sharpeners too.
they are a fantastic company, they give me a 10% discount every year for all year, which really helps if they see you at the shop quite often they give you this card for being a valid customer, i only spend a couple of quid every couple of weeks in there, and i think that is very generous, when i bought my band saw, thats when you start to notice the savings, and the tools i will get for family members that 10% comes in really handy.
take care.
lee

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have mate who is a training manager at Clas Ohlson HQ which is at Insjon, the same small town where Saterglantan the national folk craft school is based. He came over to train the staff here when they opened the first 3 stores. They have the most amazing storage packing plant at Insjon which is a totally automated huge shed. You send in your picking list and robots get your stuff. It means the whole shed can run without heating or lighting, clever chaps those Swedes.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I have mate who is a training manager at Clas Ohlson HQ which is at Insjon, the same small town where Saterglantan the national folk craft school is based. He came over to train the staff here when they opened the first 3 stores. They have the most amazing storage packing plant at Insjon which is a totally automated huge shed. You send in your picking list and robots get your stuff. It means the whole shed can run without heating or lighting, clever chaps those Swedes.
fantastic, they are a great bunch and would be lost without that shop, i take it you have one of thos cards then:)

take care bud.
lee.

equiweb

Oct 4, 2011
Bromyard
Hi, Can anyone recommend a a general purpose knife for day to day use? I work with horses and need something for cutting baler twine and maybe getting stones out of hooves. Ideally it needs to have a folding blade. Cheers, Pete.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
id prolly suggest a opinel number 7 or 8 although id caution using it too much in a prying motion for the stones

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
I've always used what I've had, and done things by intuition. That was whittling when I was a wee lad, and I'm just an overgrown version of that now... :p

My Opinel 8 is the one I use most. I think everyone should have one. Nicely made knives, functional, cheap. My dad gave me mine when I was 12 or so, and I'd be happy doing the same. My first 'proper' knife was an SAK Spartan, and I'm fond of them, but the Opinel is more functional as a knife, in my humble opinion. I've also found the blade shape useful - I like having the upswept portion (whatever the proper name for it is :p) to choke up on the blade and use for controlled chisel-like cuts, for example.

That said though, it's not without its drawbacks. The points on them are very flimsy and the locking mechanism is pretty feeble (yet still UK illegal as far as I'm aware?); I've had it fold on my fingers many a time and have worn the plasters to prove it.

I think the Mora 106 is a better knife for purpose and I intend to pick one up at some point, but no knife collection is complete without at least one Opinel. A classic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE