best forest coastline in scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
hi, does anyone out there know were i can find a coastal stretch in scottish highlands,
were theres good forest to set up a base camp, and rocky coasts with plenty of mussels and limpets to pick, good area to lay fish traps etc etc.. got all the maps just cant for some odd reason deside were i want or need to go, so need help, im going in march, so havent long to sort my plans, any advice or good location would realy be cool, its a solo trip this time,and first ''coastal'' mission so means alot.. thanks phill

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That bit where Gordon and Ray cook up some sea food looks like the place to visit. Anybody know where that was? I reckon you'd find yourself quite comfy there!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Wasn't that on Colonsay? No trees as far as I could see.

Edit: you'd also need a boat or good water-wings :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, they retired to a wood to cook the limpets and what not up. Now you mention it though, it was the episode when they went to Colonsay. The next time you watch it, have a look when they are walking along the beach at the end of their gathering session and the camera pans around and follows them, there's a little hut with a dry stone wall just up above the shore line that looks like it would be a beautiful place to get away from the rat race.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Dug out the episode of Wild Food last night, place looks perfect Spamel, shame I'm already busy with stuff this weekend ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I seem to recall there's some idea territory up around Kishorn and Applecross. Pretty dang remote though...

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
If you are feeling adventurous then Knoydart is the place to go. Although please note that it is quite remote. It’s a short boat trip from Mallaig but once on the peninsular its shanks pony all the way. If memory serves me right then it’s the northern shore (Loch Hourn) that has most of the forest.

If you are looking for something similar but not quite as remote then you could try the Ardnamurchan Peninsular? That’s were I go camping most often. Fantastic mussels (wait for low tide and get the big fat juicy ones lower down ...... further up they are smaller and a bit gritty), limpets, hire a boat in Laga Bay and you can get mackerel (you can actually get them from shore if you are lucky) and the wildlife is simply amazing.

.......... forgot to add that Kentra Bay has lots of cockles too! A great beach to camp by is the singing sands (camas an lighe) - pure white sand and plenty mussels on the rocks! ............. actually most of the beaches round there are great!

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Yep, Beer Monster's spot on - Knoydart is super remote (I've never been so can't really comment - will canoe and camp there one day...).

Much more familiar with Arisaig and Ardnamurchan Peninsular which is wonderful for wildlife (otters...) and sea food like razor clams (remember to bring cooking salt with you: walk along beaches at low tide and pour it down the holes after they squirt water. Just needs a cupla minutes patience).

The islands West of Arisaig - Rhum, Eigg and Muck are sublime, but Rhum is a nature reserve. Excellent fishing round there, and have seen killer whale and porpoise.

For all these places March will be fine. Later in the summer the midges and ticks can be baaaad. I reckon May's best, though.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
If you are looking for something similar but not quite as remote then you could try the Ardnamurchan Peninsular? That’s were I go camping most often. Fantastic mussels (wait for low tide and get the big fat juicy ones lower down ...... further up they are smaller and a bit gritty), limpets, hire a boat in Laga Bay and you can get mackerel (you can actually get them from shore if you are lucky) and the wildlife is simply amazing.

BM you now have me intrigued How is the place with regards to wild camping - Any permissions needed - any restrictions - what & who do i need to talk to or can I just bowl up and pitch. Thinking about riding mobike up from sunny kent can I ditch it somewhere reasonably safe from official curiosity (ie parking or abandonment issues) & then hike in or will I be able to access directly with everything strapped on it. Thinking maybe April and solo what is the likely weather (it can be quite dry and comfy down here but i know the atlantic coast can have its own mind about things like that?

Appreciate any help you can give PM me if you prefer not to broadcast this stuff.

Cheers

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Thinking about riding mobike up from sunny kent can I ditch it somewhere reasonably safe from official curiosity (ie parking or abandonment issues) & then hike in or will I be able to access directly with everything strapped on it.

A lot of the country house hotels will let you leave your bike if you have a meal before you leave and when you return.:cool:

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE