best folding stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Becoming Wild

Jun 25, 2016
Flamborough
Hi all, Im in the market for a folding stove. I've seen the bushcraft essentials xl and so far that looks like a good contender. I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions or has had any experience with the xl?

Many thanks
Elliot

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
Esbit pocket stove lol...
Holds lots of fuel tabs, big enough to support most pot sizes, cheap, and good when used with wood..... what else do you need!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
The Honey/Hive system is great, but assembly is a bit fiddly. If you're going to be using it on the go, assembling it each time, that becomes an issue. But it's great for bbq style cooking, and very light and compact.

The bushbox stove is very quick to assemble, but heavy. Quite compact though.

The various woodgas stoves are quick to assemble and reasonably light, but a bit bulky (not very bulky, but it might be a factor).

I solved the conundrum by having all three, but the Hive is the one I use most. It's by far the most versatile.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
My name is Ken and I'm a stoveaholic.
My three favourites.
My favourite stove is the Solo Stove Titan, pros- I love it, it burns biomass completely (leaves no trace) stays cool at the bottom so can be moved quite easily and is bomb proof, if I prepare the fuel properly 1 load will last maybe 45 mins (never properly timed). cons- it is very bulky doesn't fold down but you can store stuff in it easily just needs some thinking about.
My second favourite is my Wild Woodgas mkii, it's almost as good as the solo is more compact, gives great burn times, but it feels less stable, leaves a bit more mess. Once I make/ find a "brew kit" bag that will take it and my bottle/mug this will be my go to stove.
Recently I bought a Firebox, I've only played with it in the garden but I really like it. It's really versatile, can be used in multiple ways with multiple fuels, is really sturdy, easy to put up and take down, bombproof and folds flat. however it does fall a little on the heavy side and makes more mess/less controlled than the wood gas stoves. but saying that I think it would go with me because it's lovely having a controlled little bonfire/firebox.

To be honest though all my stoves are on the solid heavy side because I like stuff to last and enjoy having the confidence that they're going to hold up. weight and bulk is not a huge concern.

I also have a kelly kettle love it but only for car/canoe camping, a tentipi firebox again for car camping or beach bonfires. 3 different cheap wood gassifier clones that are for messing around with or loaning out, a grilliput barbecue set which is too heavy for what it is, some homemade hobo stoves I made years ago, a couple of attempts at gassifiers and a half made fan assisted rocket stove. I also spent some time messing around trying to make something that would slot together but I gave up because my attempts always felt really unstable and unsafe. (probably because of thin sheet metal and too wide slots)

Becoming Wild

Jun 25, 2016
Flamborough
wow thanks for the input all! after looking at these I think a folding box will be better suited for me as I have quite a small pack, really appreciate everyone's help
cheers

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I bought A Firebox a couple of years ago and love it. So much so, I got a Firebox Nano which is really lightweight and worth a look

Andy

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Have you considered the 5" Folding Firebox might be worth a look if weight isn't that much of a concern. It's built like a tank and that's reflected in it's weight 2.5lbs about 1.12Kgs.

Screenshot from 2016-06-28 18:51:27.jpg
Burgers for lunch on the Firebox with wood fuel.

Screenshot from 2016-06-28 18:51:59.jpg
Just flipped them, grease + hot fire bed = flare up!

If you want something pocket size how about the BA Hexi stove, cheap as dirt and burns any of the hexi, triox tablets or as I do small twigs to keep the heat going just a bit longer rather than using a second tablet.

Screenshot from 2016-06-28 19:09:18.jpg
The Stove with fuel and two KFS sets fits inside my BA mess tins for a compact cook kit.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I'm quite fond of the Honey Stove. It's British, versatile in that it can work with meths stoves as well as gas and wood. it's fairly light at approx 300g, comes in a nice pouch and I think it's solid in it's construction. That said, mine did warp slightly after use but this hasn't affected it's performance and construction. I'm so happy with mine that I intend to get the hive upgrade kit so that I can have a bigger fire.

Some people will say that it can be fiddly to construct but it's not that bad. When I got mine I watched a couple of youtube vids where they demonstrated the easiest ways to put it together and I find it easy enough.

A friend of mine has the folding firebox and I must say that I was very impressed with it as it certainly looked like a solid bit of kit. Only criticism is that it was quite heavy. But as Boris the blade said...."heavy is good, its sign of reliability"!

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Damn it.
Looks like a Honey Stove and Hive Expansion is needed to feed my addiction.

Has anyone got anything negative to say about them?
I'd especially like to know how warped they get after extensive use as a firebox, and if this makes it harder putting them together?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Damn it.
Looks like a Honey Stove and Hive Expansion is needed to feed my addiction.

Has anyone got anything negative to say about them?
I'd especially like to know how warped they get after extensive use as a firebox, and if this makes it harder putting them together?

Mine has been used a fair bit, and no serious warping problem. That said, they are a bit fiddly to get set up, and not very great in winter (then I want to be able to (1) add bigger pieces of firewood, (2) manage it easily with thick gloves on, and (3) keep it from melting into the snow). For summer use it is fine, but in winter the old Tentipi/Moskosel firebox comes out. I would happilly pay the price for that one in Ti if they ever produced it (I suggested stainless, but nooooo..)

20150609194940-4c9d4f52-me.jpg

Seen better:
20160619183812-aca758f5-me.jpg

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Yeah I love the Tentipi firebox, also loving your photos. I loved visiting Sweden a few years ago and I'd love to go back.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
KenThis said:
The warping starts with the first burn. After two or three burns it's about as warped as it's going to get. It's really not very warped at all. It doesn't make assembly any more difficult for me, in fact assembly gets easier as the sharp edges of the pieces get smoothed off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE