Best DIY shelter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all I am looking for help with picking a new piece of gear to carry. I currently carry a US military poncho, nice ripstop, great gear, but a little big and a little heavy.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with different plastic sheets that can be used for a nice shelter. Just something light that I can fold up small and carry in my day pack to make an easy shelter.

Let me know what you like.

Geoffrey.

leon-1

I think that you will find that the majority will come back with a hoochie of some sort.

Issued basha's are a cheaper alternative, have a look and see what the Canadian forces are using for shelters (I don't know what they currently use) as we tend to find in the UK that is as good a place to start as any :)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I dont know of any types of plastic sheet that could match the flexibility+strength+packable character of ripstop nylon. Plastic's especially bad at folding up because it is sheet not woven material.

I can't think of a better way to get small and light than to get a tarp or bothy shelter type bag in lightweight silicon proof nylon.

I don't know the US army poncho but you could look at carrying the flyshhet off a hennesssy lightweight hammock on it's own, or a lightweight basha like the one I got by Kathmandu trekking (from soldier of fortune).

cheers

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have heard of some people keeping space blankets as one time emergancy shealters! or a survival bag cut open.. both as rather bright in colour!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I have an army poncho, pretty big, 200x165 cm. Folded together and rolled up, it takes up almost zero space. A bit heavy though.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
you could look at carrying the flyshhet off a hennesssy lightweight hammock on it's own,

The Hex fly is a massive 10' by 12' or something like that..... that should keep you and your kit dry.

Personally though I'm a poncho shelter man :biggthump

Ed

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I think there's a big difference between coated ripstop and silnylon. In my experience, silnylon is much lighter, more flexible, more durable (the waterproofness, that is), and packs smaller.

Plus you don't have to fold it up. You can't. All you can do is stuff it into a bag.

If that's not enough, you can get ponchos made of spinnaker cloth.

Bear

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, for something you might want to use in a survival situation, it's hard to beat the all weather space blanket or an 8 x 10 poly tarp. I have no problem building a fire to keep warm right in front of either of these. If you accidently burn a hole in one, you are not out a whole lot. And they stand up better to sparks than nylon. The all weather blanket is required gear for my day pack. And if I get stuck out overnight, I know I will have a dandy sheter to spend the night in right next to a good fire. From a bushcraft perspective, nylon has never appealed to me, whether it's nylon tents, tarps or clothing. For backpacking, it's wonderful!

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
hoodoo what do you use for a blanket? I have a US military wool blanket would that be good for bush stuff?

Thanks.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've found military wool blankets to be pretty poor. I have a wool blanket that I've had for god only knows how long and I can't recall where I got it but it's fluffy. If you are serious about using a wool blanket, find one that's fluffy, not flat. I carry a cotton military sleeping bag cover and sometimes use a fleece blanket inside. This protects the fleece from sparks and it is lighter to carry than a wool blanket.

tak_4.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have an ex issue wool blanket that's (I think) brilliant... it's huge and fairly thick. I tend to use it on the floor of my tent(s) as it takes a lot of the ground chill out... I can't get mats to cover the entire floor area.

Also, on cold days around a fire, I have been known to wrap up in it. I have also used it to lay on with friends on summers days at the local park whilst having picnic.

For sleeping on/in I would say it's a little itchy though so go with what Hoodoo said.

As for the tarp, I have a basha and a poncho and I would say that both are light enough for me not to worry about carrying. I think the poncho is ripstop but it's light and doesn't take any room in my pack. How light were you thinking? If you could give an idea, that would help.

Cheers

Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE