Best Bush Quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Anyone out there got some good bushy quotes. I see many on the bottom of posts but it would be great to compile a cool list.

Obvious one is from Henry David Thoreau "In wildness is the preservation of the world"

One of my favourites (especially since I work for a newspaper-

"Fancy cutting down all those beautiful trees…to make pulp for those bloody newspapers, and calling it civilization."
Winston Churchill to his son during a visit to Canada in 1929

Any gems out there?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
One of my favourites..

"Who can long watch the ceaseless lapping of a rivers current with out conceiving a desire to set himself adrift"

Or words to that affect, I can't remember who it was I need to credit it to either. I'm no good at this game! :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Even some of the cliches make me smile but the one I like the most is Greenpete's tag -

"Do not mess with the forces of nature, for thou art small and biodegradeable!"

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Feet are made for walking
Mules are made to pack,
I never saw a place that didn't look better lookin back

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I think it was Clement Freud who, when asked what he would like carved on his gravestone, replied: "Best before end". The same is always true of any trip to the woods.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I quite like my signature (obviously, otherwise it wouldn't be my signature :p ) but I'll type it up here in case I change it at a later date.

'It is poor manners to ask someone for the loan of his axe.
It is worse to use it without permission.''

- Mors Kochanski

Nothing philosophical or poignant about it but it's very true.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
The best quote I've read in a long time was one made by one of our very own members here. A carefully constructed, educated, succinct, measured, observed comment;
taken in context of course, see if you can guess the framework for this carefully constructed comment. Finishes on a nicely comic note!

In Teddy Bear "I'm a complete Walt who is a danger to the public" Grills case, I will make an exception. Seriously. The man is such a complete and utter tit, that I would rather do unpaid overtime than watch his pathetic, self aggrandising stunts. There is a member of this forum who condemns "fantasists". Well Bear is a complete liar, there I've said it. The man is a total Walt. He makes the outdoors into a hostile world to be avoided rather than a welcoming safe place that will sustain you if you take the trouble to learn its secrets.

I detest this idiot and every money grubbing, self promoting, lying, deceiving, bone in his body.

Next week I'll get off the fence.

Red

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A comment a friend once made on a trip.

"How far away from here are we?"

We all knew right away what he meant to say, but it still took us most of a beer to stop laughing. And we remind him of it often.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE