Berry picker competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
clcuckow said:
I'm in, I think I have some photos somewhere of some traditional cranberry (dry) pickers from the ocean spray cranberry world (museum) in Plymouth MA but it is that long since that holiday that I cannot remember if it was before I went digital.

I posted this several hour ago but is has gone walkabout so I will try again.

I have not looked for the photos yet but I found this link and thought that might give some people some ideas:

cranberry-scoop4.jpg

http://www.runnerduck.com/cranberry_scoop.htm

I still have not found a picture of the one that cylindrical one Gordon used in episode 4.​

Hope it give some ideas. I an still not sure if I am going to try something like a cranberry scoop/rake or something like one in wild food.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Just thought of something (insomnia rules OK, and I have to be setting off for London in 4 hours!).

This is going to be a bit of an aesthetic comp. for most of us on BCUK.

Or haven't we all noticed that It is winter in northern hem. and not Autumn so.... Urrrmmmm... not to many berries around ;)

Maybe we should do a return report in say October to see if they actually work :D

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
clcuckow said:
Just thought of something (insomnia rules OK, and I have to be setting off for London in 4 hours!).

This is going to be a bit of an aesthetic comp. for most of us on BCUK.

Or haven't we all noticed that It is winter in northern hem. and not Autumn so.... Urrrmmmm... not to many berries around ;)

Maybe we should do a return report in say October to see if they actually work :D
What, you think they should work, i thought it just had to look good :D

Jan 13, 2007
france
Too late for the competition perhaps, but I thought these photos might be of interest. These models appear in the older-fashioned hardware shops around Grenoble about the start of August for the blueberry ( myrtille ) season. They are very effective, so much so that municipal byelaws ban their use in a lot of the mountain parishes. Needless to say it's one of those local byelaws that is totally ignored.

The only problem is that they do collect and rip off a lot of leaves and twiggy bits from the bushes.Don't think it's very good for the bush and it was a pain seperating the berries from the leaves back at home until I found the correct method - prop a wide plank up at an angle of about thirty degrees and roll berries and leaves down it - the leaves stick to the plank, especially if a bit damp, and the berries carry on down to a sheet laid at the bottom. Still leaves a few twiggy bits, but it's huge saving on time.

tmpphp2DQAz2.jpg
[/IMG]

And for a bit of scale

DSCN1098.jpg
[/IMG]

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ok here is my entry - a completely different look at the issue......

The aim was to make something that would be easy to transport so mine is both 'flatpack' and flexible

so firstly flat.....

berryp1xv1.jpg

and then 'made up'

berryp2ca2.jpg

it is made of 3mm leather and to construct you fold up the tabs and pass the leather thong through the holes and tie in a traditional 'bushcraft bow'

As many have pointed out - time will tell to see if it works :rolleyes:

sorry for the poor pics! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE