Bernie Garland "Bushcrafter" - knife review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Recently I had the pleasure of having a long chat with Bernie about his slightly unconventional "Bushcrafter" knives. Fortunately we were able to work out a trade so I had the double pleasure when attending a course of meeting Mors Kochanski and receiving one of Bernies knives.

I have delayed writing a review until I ahd the time to give the knife a "proper work out"

Here is the knife in question

2831581986_c4eca331ca_o.jpg

The knife is in 4mm O1.
Blade length is 4" on the cutting edge and 4 1/4" including the ricasso
The handle is 4 1/2" stabalised burr elder with 6mm mosaic pins and red fibre liners.
Unusually the knife has a 9mm lined lanyard tube - a bigger and, in my view, easier to use size than the normal 6mm

2831584082_e9cbe1efd2_o.jpg

The first thing that springs to mind is the pronounced "belly" to the knife. Far rounder than a normal bushcraft profile - almost hybrid skinner / bushcrafter. This has proved far more handy than a normal bushcraft knife for game work. The knife is still great at woodwork. It has a scandinavian grind with a micro secondary bevel. I prefer a zero grind and it'll become that eventually with sharpening. Bernie will slap me silly as he believes a micro secondary adds strength - each to his own. :D

2831582426_8f380248c8_o.jpg

The handle is highly shaped. It has a pronounced waist for the little finger and appreciable palm swell. I find this gives a very sure grip for chest lever and power cuts

2831584726_760b5a860b_o.jpg

One nice factor in terms of balance and heft is that Bernie tapered the tang at my request - this gives for lively handling but, in 4mm steel, leaves a real strong "handful" of blade

2830749211_c2cd2130af_o.jpg

The sheath is ...great.

2831585156_83f69711dd_o.jpg

2830751579_76d688dcbe_o.jpg

A proper deep pouch and set up as a double dangler. I love the fact that the top loop is attached by a two part screw (same type as I use to adjust my Ching Sling but I don't know the right term). Very clever in that the top loop can be removed if its not your thing.

All in all - a tough knife with a slight game handling twist. Very useful in that will fulfil more than one niche. It shaves a mean feather stick, can be batoned with impugnity, has a great fit and finish but won't be out of the way in larger game work

Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Good review Red.

I particulary like the amount of handle on that knife; plenty of grip with gloves on I would think.

You don't find that 4mm is a bit on the hefty side?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting question.

When I designed the PFK, specified 3mm for "lean and precise" reasons.

The BG Bushcrafter is the antithesis of the PFK. Chunky where the PFK is lean, curvy where the PFK is straight, wide where the PFK is narrow, drop point vs spear point.

I like them both though. The PFK planes and bores like a dream. The BG Bushcrafter slices and chops and batons well.

The PFK is the ultimate "woods" belt knife. The BG is much more of an "all rounder" - game, wood, you name it.

Best I think depends on need. Bernies design is not one I would have come up it - but its a hell of a knife

Red

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Excellent review Red although I'm already sold on it as I've got one :D

It did take a little while to get used to the belly on it as it means you have to alter your wrist positioning a lot more to what you would do normally if you were using a knife with a flatter belly for doing things like feather sticks.

I particulary like the amount of handle on that knife; plenty of grip with gloves on I would think.

The handle is just about the nicest shape I've held and I find it does site very comfortably in my hand though I'll have to wait til winter time to see how it is with gloves in but I don't anticipate any problems with it.

You don't find that 4mm is a bit on the hefty side?

I've got the full sized tang which hasn't been tapered and it does add some weight to it but it helps balance it out very nicely. As for the thickness, well it passes what Mors Kochanski looks for in a knife, 'Robust enough to be hammered into a tree 3-4cm and then support your weight yet delicate enough to carve a netting needle'. I've yet to do the tree bit but I don't have any qualms about doing it if required and I was carving netting needles on the course very easily.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Leon - I must find a source - I carry a spare on myChing sling as I lost one once - I should put a dab of Loctite on I suppose but I love demonstarting a 3 point sling to people and its important to be able to adjust it

Red

Hi Red
i love the 3 Sling point system to tho i usually use a normal sling and move the rear point to the center (luckly i dont need to adjust he sling length) takes me back to my years of Target shooting on a single point :eek: as a Youth
also why the Enfield rifles had a center sling swivel ;)

nice knife as usual for you :D

ATB

Duncan

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Sorry for my ignorance, Red. I've tried the search and I can't find what PFK stands for.
Can you enlighten?
Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE