bentham yorkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
hi
iv just booked a weeks holiday in a cottage near bentham, just wondering if anyone knows the area a has a idea of good areas to visit or quiet woodland nearby
thanks ash

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
grayfox
im not sure exactly its just over 2 miles out of bentham,up a rough farm track,im waiting for the full details to come through the post.
im going at easter on the 23rd for 7 nights.
i like the look of the forest of bowland but not sure if it will be a bit busy, anywere you recomend
ash

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
Get hold of the OS map OL41

High and Low Bentham are the extreme North boundary of this map and the map covers most of the Forest of Bowland.
Go west from Bentham and you will pass through Wray, Wennington, or Hornby and Lunesdale. The River Lune runs from Lancaster up past here to Kirkby Lonsdale and north.
I know this area well as I teach in the small village schools up Lunesdale, places like Arkholme, Wray, Melling etc. All of this area is fantastic for walking and watching wildlife. It just depends on what you want to do.

Morecambe Bay is superb for wading birds, the woods around Silverdale and Warton Crag are excellent and if you climb through them to the top you get fantastic views over Morecambe Bay. It depends on what your interests are. plenty of excellent country in the Forest of Bowland for tramping and getting lost. You could go down to Dunsop bridge and see if the eagle owls have arrived.

Go north and you have the dales, Ingleborough, Whernside and Pen y Ghent

I know your neck of the woods pretty well. We moved to Duffield when I was 11 and I went to school at Swanwick. My mother only left there two years ago when I brought here up here to Morecambe as she could no longer live on her own.

If you let me know any specific interests I might be able to be a bit more specific.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
cheers mate thats great.
my intersts usualy involve a nice walk with the dog,try and find some quiet spots to get a brew and keep an eye out for anything that catches my eye be it wildlife,food or a nice piece of wood to carve. as long as its quiet and i can get out the way im happy anything else is a bonus.
how far from bentham are you.
small world growing up a mile down the road.
cheers ash

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
I live on Morecambe prom and work my way up and down the dale every day. This area sort of benefits from the Lakes being close. Everyone goes there and sort of forgets about us, but in this country there are always people around. They do tend to stick to the honeypots though so if you're prepared to stretch your legs a bit or just nose around it's not too difficult to leave people behind.

Gait Barrow is good place to go in winter. I spend a lot of time up there and never see a sole even though it is a nature reserve. Not difficult at all to get yourself lost. Not too much to see in winter but **** hot for butterflies in the summer. Several national rarities and of course the Lady's Slipper orchid. which is definitely worth seeing once.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE