Belt Buckle Strike a light?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi,I'm just checking to see if anyone has made a Belt Buckle Strike a Light yet,as I can remember it being brought up sometime ago,and it sounded a really good idea.
let us know if you've made one and show us some pics
Cheers

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'm thinking of buying a Oval Flint Strike-a-Light and making a Belt out of para-cord and tying it to the Oval,or getting someone to make me a Leather Belt using the Oval fire steel as the Buckle.
what do ya think

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think its a great idea.....

But i'm having trouble getting rid of the mental image of either dropping your trousers every time you light a fire or some demonic hip gyrations to strike the flint :eek::rolleyes:

Show us what you develop guys.

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
But i'm having trouble getting rid of the mental image of either dropping your trousers every time you light a fire or some demonic hip gyrations to strike the flint :eek::rolleyes:

If I were to do one I'd probably do it as an oval with a bar in the middle like a buckle but then just loop it on to the belt so it can be slid off easily and use it as a back up in case of loosing the main fire steel

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have tried to, an for the life of me - can't, imagine my needing a belt buckle strike a light....My main firelighter is a strike-a-light, safe in its pouch with its tinder, my spare is the same in the cook box, or a lighter, or a Swedish firesteel...
My belt holds up my trews...my back up for that is paracord...
If my belt was paracord and my strike-a-light then I would constantly need to be clutching my waistband in one hand as I used the paracord and fire-lighting kit....
My belt already does double sevice as a strop (on very rare occassions) so I would also need to carry a strop with me.....
Nah - my kit works fine for me as it is...but I have to admit the firesteel buckle sounds like a fun gadget! :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you were to make a couple of finger sized steels (al la Dave Budd), then sew them on to a leather belt as decoration. (Suitable coated in varnish or lacquer to stop them rusting) that would give you the best of both world, an always on you strike-a-light and a fully working belt buckle

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I made one a while ago. There is a post somewhere with the picture. It is an oval striker.
I have never used it in anger so no embarresing trouser moments.
Nowadays I mainly wear it with my kilt. The large buckle lends itself to be worn with a kilt.
Personally I think it makes for a good little project.
Cheers
George

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I just like the idea of having a Back-up way of making fire, if heaven forbid the Brown Stuff really did hit the Fan,and I didn't have anything else bar what I was Wearing,admitidly it probably will never see use,but it's there if I did need it.that and you can't always find suitable materials when you are out and about.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have tried to, an for the life of me - can't, imagine my needing a belt buckle strike a light....My main firelighter is a strike-a-light, safe in its pouch with its tinder, my spare is the same in the cook box, or a lighter, or a Swedish firesteel...
My belt holds up my trews...my back up for that is paracord...
If my belt was paracord and my strike-a-light then I would constantly need to be clutching my waistband in one hand as I used the paracord and fire-lighting kit....
My belt already does double sevice as a strop (on very rare occassions) so I would also need to carry a strop with me.....
Nah - my kit works fine for me as it is...but I have to admit the firesteel buckle sounds like a fun gadget! :D

Yeah me too!!!

Wasn't there IIRC, way back in the 80's a detachable "throwing star" belt buckle for them saddos who wanted such nonsense.

A detachable striker as part of a belt buckle may work?

Or how about, instead of ox horn neckties, smaller fire steel neckties?

Just a thought... :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah me too!!!

Wasn't there IIRC, way back in the 80's a detachable "throwing star" belt buckle for them saddos who wanted such nonsense.

A detachable striker as part of a belt buckle may work?

Or how about, instead of ox horn neckties, smaller fire steel neckties?

Just a thought... :)

I have a strike-a-light/firesteel striker neck Pendant - stamped with the SOTP logo, made by Dave Budd.....

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Maybe it depends if you have a flattening stone?

Hahahaaa :)

Flattening stone... Me Tarzan, you Jane...

My sister showed me the left hand trick for a laugh. She didn't tell me that as I was laughing, I wouldn't see the right elbow that cured my sinus problem.

Every day's a schoolday.

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
Alternate idea, use a money belt and hide a mini kit / striker instead of money under the zipper. Always with you, and you can keep your trousers up :)

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
firebeltsmall01.jpg

Wearing the belt, don't notice the 'hard' bits

firebeltsmall02.jpg

Rear view, closed

firebeltsmall03.jpg

Rear view open showing contents. Just popped together to prove concept. Belt is pretty good, made by eagle creek and £10.

Contents are firesteel (would be better minus handle), folding knife (closed draws excellent sparks), whistle, and cotton wool. Could easily fit the main survival type bits if I wanted as well.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well I finally finished my Para-Cord Belt with Strike a Light Buckle,it took ages to make the belt.But it is a working belt now,that's got loads of para-cord in it,if needed and a Fire-starting Buckle to boot.The Striker is an Oval one from A.Finlay and throws great sparks,And the Belt pin is an old tent peg.
Cheers
P1010001-4.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE