Beginner rifle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
All good advice here
Tikks, Sako, Browning.

Secondhand can be like 50% less!!
Ps 1 but stay away from too old guns with worn out barrels and stuff.
Ps 2 better no c type brand, difficult to sell.
Secondhand Tikka, Sako or Browning retains secondhand value.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That depends ☺ If I am happy with it I might as well stick to it.

In that case, I would save a bit more and get a better gun. Ruger 77, or depending on your budget, any of the other European made guns.
The difference is quite small, to be frank. Ruger is built like a tank. The European ones are better finished.

Can you try other people's guns?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Go for a used gun...it is seriously hard to wear out a rifle through hunting.

For reideer and the like 6.5x55, 30-06 or 308 might be a bit much but here they are quite cheap. Don't know what's on offer in Norway.

For reference - I am sporting a 2nd hand 8×57JS for moose. Old but still taking care of business....

Greger

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Janne; I'm changing club this year, to one with more activities, so they will all be strangers to me 😲
I am very shy with strangers, but I hope they will find it in them to let me try in time.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Arya, asking and borrowing somebody's gun is a great way to get friends in the new club!
Get advice from the club members. Also, somebody there may have a suitable gun for sale.

It is one thing for us to give you useful/useless advice on the internet, but nothing beats "real" personal advice!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......As for Weatherby (Magnums) I suggest getting them out of your system at the earliest opportunity as they are without question a young man's rifle as only the shoulder of such testosterone-driven enthusiasm would put up with the punishment and keep smiling in the hope of convincing all who behold the spectacle that they are enjoying the experience!

I speak as the owner of a 300WM since 1982.

K

I see  Bye, bye Weatherby!

So Weatherby is only available in magnum calibers there? I've been eyeing a few in 30-06 here. Out of my budget, but a nice dream anyway.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Arya, asking and borrowing somebody's gun is a great way to get friends in the new club!
Get advice from the club members. Also, somebody there may have a suitable gun for sale.

It is one thing for us to give you useful/useless advice on the internet, but nothing beats "real" personal advice!!

Don't even ask! Go up and ask questions about the gun. I bet you any decent shooter will say "Do you want a go?" Then reach into your pocket and pay them for the ammo! They may refuse but please offer.

Thats the UK club scene anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I use a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 and find it a nice rifle. It is a bit lively without the moderator on if I use heavier bullets, but it is a light rifle to carry. One point to note it doesn't like some brands of cheap .308 ammo as the head space is tight and the rounds will not chamber.

I would be cautions about buying a US gun as there's sometimes problems with availability of parts in the UK. I'd also carefully examine a 2nd hand gun as I know a few people who've picked up 2nd had rifles have found problems (rounds not cycling from the magazine for example). Having said that I do have a couple of 2nd hand US rifles, one is 2nd hand because I gave up waiting for a new one to be imported into the UK from the US!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't even ask! Go up and ask questions about the gun. I bet you any decent shooter will say "Do you want a go?" Then reach into your pocket and pay them for the ammo! They may refuse but please offer.

Thats the UK club scene anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so many formal clubs here but that's still good range etiquette anywhere.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
People in gun clubs are usually really nice people. Happy to point out the pro's and con's with their own guns.

If I ever should move back to Sweden, (Gods forbid) I would get an old German Mauser or a Finnish Mosin Nagant, and rebuild it. do it in 6.5 x 55 for game up to deer.
For moose I would get something a bit larger, like a 30-06. Maybe 7mm RM.

What I like about Ruger is the strength of the guns. They are a bit "rough' compared to other guns, but over the years I have learned to do a bit of gunsmithing, so I always polish and tune the mechanisms, change springs and so on.
I did my wife's Manurhin MR73 last year. Superb gun. Like an old S&W, but hugely more refined and made from fantastic steel.

Ruger factory original parts are cheap and plentiful, good aftermarket supply too.

The only part I can not get are the revolver hammers, which peeves me off. And that part is too complex to manufacture locally.

Last edited:

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
Probably a bit late to the party, but may I suggest working out what you want from the rifle. When you do get around to hunting, what are you thinking of hunting? A .308 is a big round, overkill for just about anything below very big deer.

Pick your target and match the round to it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably a bit late to the party, but may I suggest working out what you want from the rifle. When you do get around to hunting, what are you thinking of hunting? A .308 is a big round, overkill for just about anything below very big deer.

I've found factory loads in both 308 and 30-06 suited for game as small as jackrabbits (hare in Europe) That said Arya, are you planning on taking up reloading? You can easily tailor your loads up or down to suit your game with ANY of the popular calibers. Within limits anyway. It's easier to load a bigger caliber down than it is to load a weaker caliber up (I can load the 30-06 down for jackrabbits but I'd be leery of trying to load a 243 up to handle moose or caribou, let alone any dangerous game)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've said it before = why do you not seem to be the least bit concerned about bullets and loads?
Don't you people have different powders and bullets?
It is not abundantly obvious that different firearms eat different loads for accuracy?
Is there no value is planning what you shoot and what you hunt?'

Where I live , this is an important issue for swift clean kills. A .416 Rigby can kill anything on this planet.
Most of that can be done with a Weatherby, whether you give a sweet rat's patootie about American fire arms or not.
I live in the Nairobi of North America. We have everything North America can offer.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway

If you read the first post, I've already stated what animals it is intended for.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
If you read the first post, I've already stated what animals it is intended for.
My apologies. Missed that last line.

If you were in the UK I would suggest checking out "gun trader", maybe pick up a cheaper used rifle and buy something later on when you get a better feel for what you like and dislike in a rifle.

Is there any equivalent website for Norway?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE