Beech Bark Container TUTORIAL!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Heres what i make through out the course of the tutorial:

con1.jpg

I have never worked with Beech bark until now, and im sure most of you havnt either. Have i made a new discovery!? I was walking through the woods a few days ago and saw a falen branch from a Beech Tree. It had been there some time and had dried out. The bark had come away from the wood in curved sheets:

con8.jpg

con7.jpg

The bark is strong like board

A few things about Beech bark....

You can cut across it easily with a saw

con5.jpg

But to cut down it length ways i recomend scoaring it all the way through because it is a reletively fragile material

con4.jpg

You may wish to cut a test peice of bark to test techniques on like i did. I also found that it was really easy to drill neat wholes just with the tip of your knife.

con10.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, to start off, slect a peice of bark with a good curve in it (like a gutter) Then cut into a length from which you can make the sides of the container. You can shave off the outer dark bark with your knife to reveal an orangy blown bark beneith.

con6.jpg

Heres the peice of bark i used as material for the sides:

con3.jpg
con12.jpg

Cut two side peices from this of an equal length. Then glue them together with strong wood glue like so:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE