Beard lichens in the UK - Where, and on what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I was watching this video
http://frontierbushcraft.com/2013/12/08/essential-winter-firelighting-techniques/
and I was really keen to find some beard lichen and give it a go... :D
Is it common in the UK?
I would be keen to know if anyone has found any and used it to get a fire going as easily as this guy (Paul Kirtley) has...
I'd also really like to know where you found it (type of forest and region) and what it was growing on... (Pictures would be brilliant too if anyone has any...)
Thank you :)

Will :theyareon

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive not come across it in the UK. its very sensitive to pollution. Im sure in the wilds of the uk it is about. Guess Scotland, Northumberland and maybe Dartmoor? I used it a lot in Estonia for fire starting and it takes a spark superbly well

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've found some of these lichens in the Highlands however in my experience they make poor tinders here. All seem to absorb moisure and don't work very well.

In conditions of extreme cold there is little moisture in the air and as shown on Paul's film they work well.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yep, a few Usnea species up here, growing on birch trees, fences, etc. they do work when dry.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
I've found it in Southern England on a couple of occasions, but as others have said, it's pollution sensitivity tends to preclude it in all but the most isolated settings. If it's hanging from the branches it tends to be bone dry (in dry weather, obviously) but I've never tried it for tinder.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Will, if you know where to find it, it's everywhere on Dartmoor, but as others have said it is very sensitive to pollution of any kind, down here we call it Old Mans Beard, but before i am corrected, there is another plant that has already nicked that name.

Anyway, i am going to a secret spot i know on Dartmoor in the next few days, so i will get you some, also i will collect some Molinia Grass which grows on the moor and in the winter months is brilliant tinder, so coz i am a nice bloke i will get you some of that as well, but in return i expect a Christmas card!

Oh i will get some pics of both, and when you see the photos of The Old Mans Beard, it will blow you away.

Deal or no?

Ivan...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I found loads of old mans beard in scotland, works a treat for a fire! I would send you some but I burnt Masses ( autocorrect changed it to MSG ?) of it and I've only got a belated bit or two lying around, and I don't even know where it is :(. :)

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Actually, as a foot note, provided i don't get knocked over in the rush! Unlikely, i am happy to get both tinders for anyone else interested and will post it to them in return for a Christmas card!

Ivan...

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
That's a lovely offer that mate. I'll take you up on it if possible please. Pm sent. Thankyou Ivan.
Actually, as a foot note, provided i don't get knocked over in the rush! Unlikely, i am happy to get both tinders for anyone else interested and will post it to them in return for a Christmas card!

Ivan...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Clematis vitalba, Old Mans' Beard for us chalk dwellers. Takes a spark beautifully.

image_zps4040b60f.jpg

I've found the lichen stuff hanging off shrubby Hawthorn and Oak on Dartmoor, but never tried a fire with it.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Clematis vitalba, Old Mans' Beard for us chalk dwellers. Takes a spark beautifully.

image_zps4040b60f.jpg

I've found the lichen stuff hanging off shrubby Hawthorn and Oak on Dartmoor, but never tried a fire with it.

Hi Nice, that is the sort of official Old Mans Beard, but not round these parts, i will return with photographic evidence, there is a particular tree, miles from anywhere and it's like the chosen one!

Ivan...

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Anyway, i am going to a secret spot i know on Dartmoor in the next few days, so i will get you some, also i will collect some Molinia Grass which grows on the moor and in the winter months is brilliant tinder, so coz i am a nice bloke i will get you some of that as well, but in return i expect a Christmas card!
That's so generous - thank you Ivan.
I'll have a Christmas card with your name on it ready to go! :D

Thanks to everyone for all the advice too!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have loads of Old Mans Beard in my tinder pouch. It grows in abundance round here. I generally collect it and then dry it at home. When dry, its great as an initial starter and takes a spark very well.

EDIT: It also dries pretty quick if you collect it when its damp and shove it in your pocket.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Doesn't vary In colour or is what I've always thought is old mans beard reindeer lichen? Either way its a good fire starter :).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i would give you some but down here in wet wales we don't get any

That is surprising Dave, we get plenty in the Lakes and it's usually raining when I visit :)

Scotland is crawling with the stuff, I usually grab a bag full when we visit the Callander area. Just off the busy A84 near Balquhidder the birch woods on the west of the road are smothered in it. I was told it's a sign of good clean air.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok! People, i have had a number of PM'S re these tinders, so i have had to take on staff! Namely Skate of this parish, so we will be foraging, photographing, baling and processing orders on Friday! We will look at each request upon it's merit and goods will be dispached the following Monday.

So when the pics and report appear here, could those interested please let me know on this thread and then i will sort the rest out by PM.

Thankyou for your patience in this matter.

Ivan...and Skate...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE