Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Grylls GREAT or RUBBISH

• Thumbs up, you think he's a legend

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Thumbs down, he's a waste of TV space

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
It makes great TV but that's all it is.

Whilst I'm sure there are people out there who would, I can't really believe that people would try and copy this guy just coz he's on the telly!

Is it not a natural selection if they do?

Whilst the Ray Mears shows are billed very differently, and handle the issue of survival and bushcraft very differently there are things on there that I would not try and replicate. I know that if you dropped me in the middle of frozen Norway I would die!

Because I've seen Ray do it doesn't mean I can or really want to try. I men Rain Deer moss whats that all about!

:D
Pib

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
DR - the knife is..well...okay. Not worth the money of course. But haven't we got past knives being "cool" and having "action sheaths"? I prefer an "inaction sheath" I think , perhaps with a "quiet stroll" hanging loop.

I've said it beofre, and I'll say it again Teddy Bear Grllys aka Walter Mitty!

Red

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
What kind of doubts? Are you saying that you don't believe he has any military training/experience? Come on! Some of you may not like the guy's style or approve of his techniques, but this obsession with chipping away at his reputation is a bit curmudgeonly. Unless I am mistaken and he is in reality a kindergarten teacher with a gammy knee and soft hands from Clapham... and actually a girl.

Maybe a new poll: If Bear was a girl, wouldya fancy him?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If the man were allowed to get away with 'Wild food' no doubt he would, but if he were to do soemthing serious, it would be - Old hat, been done.

He is trying to open this up to people not like us, but a different breed - townie action boys. Lets hope more people grow to have respect for the wilds.

I enjoyed his series, it was fun, he came across as a thoroughly nice bloke, but as with everyone nowadays has to have an angle to avoid being told it's all plagiarism or just repeat.

What is it? - let him without sin; when we're perfect, then we can start running these people down. IMHO of course.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry Dougster (all respects to your opinions) and Wink, but I maintain that the man is making money from giving downright dangerous advice. I don't care about his background. Profiting from making the outdoors scary, giving dangerous advice, faking things that are foolish as well as unsafe and all in the name of personal profit is contemptuous in my book. On this subject I would NOT do what he is doing whatever the price - I find it sickening - I doubt that anyone will learn to love the outdoors based on his programmes - his entire motivation seems to be to leave it in a dangerous and unpleasant way. I hope he never appears on television again and is personally sued if his advice leads to any injury

Red

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
That's the one - the price is the ridiculous bit Dom. I have been told that the quality of the steel is a bit suss

I read in a BB thread that the steel was by far the best bit. But I also agree that it is horrendously overpriced.

Red, he did give some advice that was downright stupid I agree, for example, he was always in a hurry to downclimb rather than find a safer way around, but I believe the entire series was intended as entertainment.

I believe that any judge who asked a claimant why he performed an act that would so blatantly end in his hospitalisation hearing the phrase - 'Well, like, I saw it on the telly and fought dats what you did' should class them in the same category as the little old lady who didn't know the coffee might burn her and throw the case out.

The scenarios were so outrageous ('I've freefallen in the Sierra Nevada four days from anywhere') that your average Joe is never going to be there and undertake these tasks. They are far more likely to be injured from the flame creeping back into the fuel bottle after a 'quick squirt' on the BBQ.

The sooner everyone realises it was entertainment (it was on TV) and not purely informative and put the whole thing into perspective, the sooner the inference is made that people really should start to take responsibility for themselves.

There are stupid people about (I frequently class myself amongst them) but we shouldn't always allow them to blame others (all my scars are my own fault).

Could we have the third category of 'It's alright for a laugh'?

This isn't to say that I didn't wince and say to my wife "It's a wonder he isn't dead yet" several times.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't have a problem with Entertainment Rich - but I believe it should be clearly badged as such. Jackass Bushcraft should carry an appropriate warning of "don't try this at home or in the woods - these images are faked (the waterfall descent for example)"

Red

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
£350 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . Face it. The guys an egg head. Its purely for entertainment. I have no doubt that Bear has some skills but i would rather be out with Ray Mears or someone who knows what they are doing. I mean at least you might get a decent meal. But eating from a zebra carcuss and squeezing the juice out of elephant ****e. There just has to be another way. Its dangerous and for someone who is trying to survive, doing the things he does would be pretty stupid.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I don't have a problem with Entertainment Rich - but I believe it should be clearly badged as such. Jackass Bushcraft should carry an appropriate warning of "don't try this at home or in the woods - these images are faked (the waterfall descent for example)"

Red

I always thought it was, but maybe that's just because I laughed so much.

It's just that I am at the point where I think sueing someone because you copied their stupid action, then injured yourself is taking this lack of self responsibility too far.

I like the concept of Jackass Bushcraft, maybe we could make a killing.:p

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
At the start of each show he says "I will show you how to survive in the wild". That's what bugs me. It's like having a show that says "I will show you how to do First Aid" and then showing a load of nonsense dangerous First Aid techniques.

the price is the ridiculous bit Dom

I hadn't looked at the price TBH, but I have now! Truly ridiculous

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
My kids were genuinely traumatised by some of his pointless culinary 'skills' i.e showing a nice cute little frog sitting on his hand then promptly tearing it apart with his teeth and dumping the turtle straight on top of the roaring fire. I have kept frogs and have a tortoise and all my kids could see was 'bare bottom' snacking on their pets! I don't see why he couldn't have dispatched the animals before eating/cooking them but then the shock value would have been lost I suppose :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
At the start of each show he says "I will show you how to survive in the wild". That's what bugs me. It's like having a show that says "I will show you how to do First Aid" and then showing a load of nonsense dangerous First Aid techniques.

I hadn't looked at the price TBH, but I have now! Truly ridiculous
Spot on DR - if you claim to teach, then teach properly. If you want to say "this is me pratting around and faking all the dangerous stuff because I don't really do it", then fair enough.

Walt and a dangerous Walt

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE