BCUK Wild Weekend!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Further to Falling Rains excellent thread "Wildfood Week", the 'Wild Weekend' has been born. We're having a little get together on the south Cornish coast, where we shall eat what we forage.

People that have already showed an interest are;
Falling Rain
Ed
Snufkin
Jon Pickett
Bloodline + 1
Bigman
Ditch Monkey

If anyone is willing to run mini workshops that would be great. P'raps post ideas here to guage resonse.

Anyways, heres the info;

Location; On South coast of Cornwall between Looe & Polperro at Talland Bay.
We will be in a field very close to the beach. There is an even more perfect paddock practically on the beach which we are requested NOT to camp in due to insurance/Health & Safety issues. We are behind the road in a field with public access and it has a rather large hill. There is plenty of flatish room for approx 30 tents. No trees for hammocks sadly (Lots of thistles there at the mo)
If you require a bit more luxury or are bringing kids/other halfs there is a campsite a 10 minute walk away – let me know if you’d like details.

Cost; £10 (Cash) for up to 3 nights camping – Bargain ;o)

Whats there; Not much really. 2 Small rocky coves, large sand bar at low tide, miles & miles of beautiful coast path. 2 cafes (one on either beach) not sure if they’ll be open or not – not that we’re gonna need them right?! Public toilets are a 2 minute walk from camp. Phone box next to loos. (Definitely no mobile signal!)

Fire; on the beach obviously is cool. As we’ve not had much rain so far things are very dry down here. We’ve been asked not to have fires on site if it continues. Perhaps someone has a fire pit/drum they could bring in case its not so dry? There may be loads of driftwood if its been rough seas, there may be none. Perhaps people could bring along a bag of logs?

Tides; high – 12.30 – 2pm, low – 7-8pm

Transport; I’ll try to arrange car parking, if not then there is some parking on the road. If you’re coming by train then the nearest station is in Looe. Take the Penzance line, get off at Liskeard and take another train to Looe. Looe is 3 miles from Talland. I’m happy to do one pick up from the station, perhaps other drivers could offer the same if necessary. If you’re coming by bus get to Plymouth, then aim for Polperro but disembark ½ way betweem Looe & Polperro at the Talland Bay turn. You’ll have to walk the mile or 2 from there (all downhill!)

Drinking Water; Ummm, none. Bring your own.

Fishing; Ive spoken to a guy from Looe who takes out 2 hour mackerel trips on his boat. He’d be happy to pootle round to Talland – weather permitting - for us if people are interested. He charges £10 from Looe but as his diesel cost will be higher I think he’d ask for a bit more. Contact me if you’d like to go.

Rabbits; We have an amazing amount of bunnies this year and the farmer – Sarah – would be MORE than happy for us to take some out. I request that no guns are brought please ;o)

Claim to fame; Sorry but its true – Richard & Judy have a holiday home here

Kids; Great, bring them and let them learn. Please understand that they will be your responsibility at all times. There will be fires, knives and other big pointy things present!

All help to return site to pristine condition gratefully received. I’ll provide bin liners etc. The lovely farmer is my neighbour so it’s really important that this goes well. Please leave any aggression or problems in Devon, we don’t want it down here ;o)

See you there! Janiepopps ;o)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Would have loved to have come, Talland has some great childhood memories, plus a walk round the cliff path gets you to the Fudge shop in Polperro - Rum and Raisan please if anyone from my way goes down there (Jon Picket like :) :) :) ) :) :) :) unfortunately im in Romania that week at a conference, so i wont be able to attend :( :( :(

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it down there :( . But I will try and do the weekend here in Norfolk.

leon-1

janiepopps said:
Please leave any aggression or problems in Devon, we don’t want it down here ;o)

See you there! Janiepopps ;o)

Oh no you don't:D

Can't make it, my Mum and Gran are going away for a holiday and I'll be dogsitting (if I could drive it would be different). If you make it an annual thing i'll try and make it next year:eek:

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
leon-1 said:
Oh no you don't:D

Can't make it, my Mum and Gran are going away for a holiday and I'll be dogsitting (if I could drive it would be different). If you make it an annual thing i'll try and make it next year:eek:

Oh yeah, Sorry mate! That should read "Leave it in Devon - Just NOT in Paignton :D

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Talland eh - sounds interesting - its a good bay but I only remember the one from last years camping up the hill or the walks from polperro to looe.

as for foraging - trago mills the worlds current cheapest place for meths and their's a mean kebab shop in looe :)

I shall seriously consider this as a possible kickstart back into survival/bushcraft and an excellent way of making new friends but will have to check my work rota to see if it'll fit in. if I'm on lates then you might find a guy in a bivvy bag on the beach :)

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
crazydave said:
Talland eh - sounds interesting - its a good bay but I only remember the one from last years camping up the hill or the walks from polperro to looe.

as for foraging - trago mills the worlds current cheapest place for meths and their's a mean kebab shop in looe :)

I shall seriously consider this as a possible kickstart back into survival/bushcraft and an excellent way of making new friends but will have to check my work rota to see if it'll fit in. if I'm on lates then you might find a guy in a bivvy bag on the beach :)

Dave, the kebab shop is SO out of bounds on this weekend!!! :D

j

Hope you can make it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE