BBC Timewatch, Viking voyage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Best heads up for a long time! That looks awesome, I am going through all of my viking programmes at the minute, so a new one is much appreciated.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Whether they made it across or not? I sure hope they made it to somewhere other thn the bottom of the sea! How did they get to be a part of that anyway, or will we be told in the programme? I would have jumped at the chance to be a part of something like that, and then sat in the bottom of the ship for a few weeks vomiting with sea sickness! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What a brilliant programme! I am very envious of those people. That would be a great life experience, one to cherish. It was interesting to see the problems they had with the steer board, and I'm quite surprised they didn't have a foot rope on the Yard. They could have got right out to sort the tangle out if they had, but maybe that isn't historically accurate. Is there a piece of a ship to say tha there wasn't a foot rope?

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Brilliant.....one of the best things i've seen on tv for ages.

Hope they make part two when they sail back to Denmark this summer

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I always seem to be in work when the decent documentaries are on, does anyone know if it will be shown again?
I wonder what Waylands thoughts are on the progam!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My thoughts are that they made a good job of it.

The steorbord strap was made wrong in my opinion and the pivot rope could have been made with a Man rope knot and a back splice which would have stopped the knot from walking.

having said that it's easy to be wise from an armchair in fron of the telly.

( I was invited by Roskilde to the launch of the ship when she was first built, it was a real bind but I had a prior engagement that I couldn't alter. :puppy_dog )

Wayland

Hárbarðr
what a picture that paints ! :Wow:

Something like this perhaps.

ship302.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I really enjoyed it and I`ll admit I had a bit of a lump in my throat as they rowed into Dublin.

Cheers for the heads up Seany

Rich

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Wayland :D
i was watching an episode of Tony Robinsons Worlds Worst Jobs this morning on the discovery channel and who should pop up on the screen but your good self advising on clifftop egg collection, I am surprised they got Tony near the clifftop with his fear of heights. Good Tv though especially when he lost his shoes as he was abseiling

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE