BB down?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No mate it bludy isn't just you. :(

Access to BB has been a pain in the bum for a while now.From what I can gather,it seems that there is some sort of firewall thingy playing silly beggars.

If BB wasn't so good I'd be inclined not to bother trying anymore. :eek:

Very very frustrating. :yuck:

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
Sorry you've been having trouble Mike, this is the first time it's been a biatch for a loooong time for me (it's only been ten minutes & I'm climbing the walls already)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
If I don't log in I can get a bit of reading done for a while.

If I log in and post,I might manage one post and then "can't find the site".That is me locked out for ages. :(

To my non technical mind it must a problem with the programming at BB,as I have no trouble anywhere else at all,ever,not even a little bit. :rolleyes:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
had trouble for several days now and reported it but not so much as a "thanks we know and don't care" back. That said, it's been working fine this evening for the first time in days (until I get this read and put back on the "torment" list that is!).
Definitely a BB thing tho' as everything else works fine.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
beachlover said:
had trouble for several days now and reported it but not so much as a "thanks we know and don't care" back. That said, it's been working fine this evening for the first time in days (until I get this read and put back on the "torment" list that is!).

Funny thing is I can read all I want to,if I don't log in. :confused:

There isn't some sort of virus that can do this to sites is there?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
BorderReiver said:
Funny thing is I can read all I want to,if I don't log in. :confused:

There isn't some sort of virus that can do this to sites is there?
Didn't try doing that, but I found that once I was on it was often OK until I either PM'd or tried to post. Given the fact that it was the weekend, it may have been for the best. :rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
beachlover said:

Beachlover, a little understanding please?

Every time there is any kind of glitch with the site, I get a large number of people sending me messages telling me about it. I simply dont have time to respond to them all individually. I am aware there is a problem, it's not with the coding of BB, but with the server/host. The problems have been reported to the host and it's out of my hands. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Martyn said:

Every time there is any kind of glitch with the site, I get a large number of people sending me messages telling me about it. I simply dont have time to respond to them all individually. I am aware there is a problem, it's not with the coding of BB, but with the server/host. The problems have been reported to the host and it's out of my hands. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Thanks for that Martyn.

Now that I know that a known problem has been identified I won't get so agitated when I'm chucked out. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
BorderReiver said:
Thanks for that Martyn.

Now that I know that a known problem has been identified I won't get so agitated when I'm chucked out. :)

The hosting company that we have used since BB started was bought out by another hosting company in the new year. In March this year (about the time we started getting some problems), all the websites were moved from our old servers to the new company's own servers. Many of the admins have been complaining of problems ever since. I think the writing is on the wall for the hosting company, but moving host is a MASSIVE undertaking. Rest assured though, I wont be happy untill the site runs 99.9% trouble free. If that means moving hosts, then that's what I'll do.

It's difficult to guage the scale of the problem, but it is clear that there is a problem. I just need some time to work out with my host, what that problem is, if it can be resolved easily, or if it means a new home. But the problem is not with the coding of the site, or anything I can address as the admin, it's at server network level, which means they either sort it or we have to move.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Martyn said:

Martyn,
It was a little tongue in cheek and no, I don't expect a personal reply, but it seems there are a few of us who wondered what was going on, thought it was our PC's and between trying to log in and banging our heads on the wall, had asked. We don't underestimate the hassle of running the site. Thanks for letting us know.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tiffers said:
And there I was, thinking it was NTL messing me around again :rolleyes:

Tiffers

Well, thast could be part of the problem..

In the past, when the site has been down, it has been down for everyone. That is easy to identify and sort. Now the problems seem intermittent, the place works for some and not for others. Which means in some cases, it could quite easily be browser compatibility, PC setup issues, ISP connection problems or a whole host of other possibilities which have nothing to do with BB. It confuses the issue enormously. Why does it work flawlessly for some people and not for others?

I think this is a BB server issue in most cases, I only hope our host can figure it out.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
beachlover said:
Martyn,
It was a little tongue in cheek and no, I don't expect a personal reply, but it seems there are a few of us who wondered what was going on, thought it was our PC's and between trying to log in and banging our heads on the wall, had asked. We don't underestimate the hassle of running the site. Thanks for letting us know.

Yeah, I understand the frustration, I just dont have an answer. All i can say is, the problem has been reported, I personally believe it's significant and wont be fobbed off untill it's working peachy again for everybody. But it may take some time and scratching of heads to get there.

If push comes to shove, I'll move the site to a different host ...which has been on the cards for a while anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE