Battery generators - what & why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I know there are some previous threads on the portable solar / mains battery units but I'm more interested in the larger ones for use around a home. What I'm curious to know from those that have them was why did you buy them, did they live up to expectations and have your needs changed since having one?

I have often looked at some form of generator to cover us for power cuts but have made do without. I note these battery units are becoming a bit cheaper and I now have a couple of uses for one but wondering how useful they are.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know there are some previous threads on the portable solar / mains battery units but I'm more interested in the larger ones for use around a home. What I'm curious to know from those that have them was why did you buy them, did they live up to expectations and have your needs changed since having one?

I have often looked at some form of generator to cover us for power cuts but have made do without. I note these battery units are becoming a bit cheaper and I now have a couple of uses for one but wondering how useful they are.
I have one that stores 2kWh and can deliver 3000W. It's got it's own app and is, frankly, a game changer

I can run my mains electric chainsaw, log splitter etc. on it.

We have four freezers and it can run them all in a power cut

It acts as an uninterruptible power supply for my incubators where a single power cut can cost me hundreds of pounds

The unit I have used to cost £2,000 but it's now available for £699.

I'm putting in 800W of solar panels that can recharge it in a few sunny hours. The panels cost just £120.

Honestly these things are getting really affordable. Pricing up the Lithium ion batteries, charge controller & inverter, the solar power station is a bargain.

Happy to answer questions.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What battery is it?

I'm thinking that rather than a proper battery install linked to my solar system I might look into portable battery packs of some kind that I charge during the day to run stuff off after the cells are no longer productive.

We're on FiT tariffs so get paid for half my potential generation even if we use more than half. In summer our smart meter shows standing charge only until about 8 or 9pm. Great for WFH but what about night? I'm wonder what could be charged during the day but then run off at night. Maybe tv, son's gaming TV, fridge/freezer, etc. Thinking three about the house, but know nothing about what is out there or needed.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What make and model?

Ecoflow Delta Max 2000. There's a great deal if you follow that link on "refurbished" items (they are brand new, in a plain box as far as I can tell)

Hit the three line menu top right, then explore, then refurbished.

Tricky to find but totally worth it!

Reactions: Decacraft

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What battery is it?

I'm thinking that rather than a proper battery install linked to my solar system I might look into portable battery packs of some kind that I charge during the day to run stuff off after the cells are no longer productive. I'm wonder what could be charged during the day but then run off at night. Maybe tv, son's gaming TV, fridge/freezer, etc. Thinking three about the house, but know nothing about what is out there or needed.
If you DM me I'd be happy to send you piccs & show you ours. It will easily run any appliance - even the washing machine

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Ecoflow Delta Max 2000. There's a great deal if you follow that link on "refurbished" items (they are brand new, in a plain box as far as I can tell)
I would be interested to know exactly what the refurbed items are as there seemed to be quite a few refurbed items which put me off to be honest as I assumed they were returns.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would be interested to know exactly what the refurbed items are as there seemed to be quite a few refurbed items which put me off to be honest as I assumed they were returns.
I believe they are just old stock as there is a newer model.now. Mine still had all the protective films in place. It has exactly the same warranty as a normal item. I know two other people with them and both are as pleased as I am

Reactions: slowworm

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Have a jackery 240 for travelling, its only really good for electronics due to the small size.

Have an ecoflow delta max for around the house, had to do some electrical work and it was great during a rewire, and is pretty much perfect for what I want to run from it and expandable.

My only pointer would be find something that suits you for your usage, try and get a lipo4 for longevity and something that offers expansion.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Most refurbishment could possibly be returns. There's a dsr act (distance selling regulations) which means most items bought online can be returned within 14 days.

There normally fully tested and warrantied and sold as a second/refurb. To save money I would definitely buy something that comes under that category especially as it has the same guarantee

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have a jackery 240 for travelling, its only really good for electronics due to the small size.

Have an ecoflow delta max for around the house, had to do some electrical work and it was great during a rewire, and is pretty much perfect for what I want to run from it and expandable.
I have a smaller power station too (different brand). As you say, great for running phones, tablets & laptops but insufficient storage & inverter power for larger appliances.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I have a smaller power station too (different brand). As you say, great for running phones, tablets & laptops but insufficient storage & inverter power for larger appliances.

The charge time let's it down- takes longer than the much larger ecoflow. Although jackery now have a more portable 100 explorer with a lipo that can be charged via solar and would be perfect for phones/tablets/led lighting and torches.

I'm very interested in the powerwall type solutions- I know much cheaper can be had if you build your own system, I think I would prefer the warranty side of things that covers an all in one. I see a few people are liking the anker solix but that could be biased due to being 'sponsored' by the brand on youtube

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm very interested in the powerwall type solutions- I know much cheaper can be had if you build your own system, I think I would prefer the warranty side of things that covers an all in one. I see a few people are liking the anker solix but that could be biased due to being 'sponsored' by the brand on youtube
Obviously the Tesla is the Gold standard but there are several quality options now - including EcoFlow!

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I have one that stores 2kWh and can deliver 3000W. It's got it's own app and is, frankly, a game changer

I can run my mains electric chainsaw, log splitter etc. on it.

We have four freezers and it can run them all in a power cut

It acts as an uninterruptible power supply for my incubators where a single power cut can cost me hundreds of pounds

The unit I have used to cost £2,000 but it's now available for £699.

I'm putting in 800W of solar panels that can recharge it in a few sunny hours. The panels cost just £120.

Honestly these things are getting really affordable. Pricing up the Lithium ion batteries, charge controller & inverter, the solar power station is a bargain.

Happy to answer questions.

What’s the expected lifespan on these sorts of batteries? Sounds like a decent investment if they can last, say, 5+ years.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh nice, that’s pretty impressive.
It's all about the recharge cycles. Old lead acid was 300 to 500 times if never discharged more than 50%. LiFePO4 can be cycled 3,000 to 5,000 times and deep discharge doesn't damage them. They are a game changer

Reactions: Chris

bearbait

I have an Ecoflow Delta Max 2000 along with 2 x Ecoflow Delta Max Smart batteries giving me 6kW of storage. With 2 x 400W solar panels the system provided around half my electricity for 6 months last year, running the fridge, freezer, washing machine, microwave, breadmaker, miscellaneous charging jobs (phone, iPad, LED lanterns, etc.). As it is doing now as we "speak".

I also have a Jackery Explorer 1000 with 2 x 100W panels. This generally powers the TV, video, satbox, and occasionally one or other of the PCs during those same 6 months. Also misc. charging jobs. The panels aren't waterproof so, if necessary, I occasionally charge it from the Ecoflow. Also portable for camping!

Expensive setup, but it saves me a few bob even though, for me, there is no break-even / payback point. It's comfortable knowing that I have a useful backup when things go awry. I also have an old Honda 2500 petrol generator, which could be called into action if necessary, albeit not connected into the house system (yet). I have some Aspen Long Life Fuel for this, which has a life of 5 years. Expensive, but better than petrol sitting there in the genny, going off...'til you need it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE